Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

This drill press has a Jacobs 14N Superchuck. It did not come with a key so I looked online and found that it uses a Jacobs K3 key. This key does not seem to fit the chuck very well. The diameter of the gear teeth on the key do not fully engage the teeth on the chuck. Do I have the correct key? What am I missing?

Robert

This drill press has a Jacobs 14N Superchuck. It did not come with a key so I looked online and found that it uses a Jacobs K3 key. This key does not seem to fit the chuck very well. The diameter of the gear teeth on the key do not fully engage the teeth on the chuck. Do I have the correct key? What am I missing?

Robert

Robert, if you have identified the chuck and key correctly, then they should be the correct matches. I had a chuck that the key never really did fit very well and got worse as time went on. I contacted Jacobs and they said to send them the chuck. Turned out that it needed a rebuild and they now longer made the replacement parts for that chuck and they sent me a brand new one. My chuck seemed to work just fine other than the key just didn't fit it very well. My point is, maybe your chuck needs a rebuild kit.

Interesting thought. Could the outer sleeve be pressed on in the wrong place so the distance to the gear teeth is too great?
Robert

Interesting thought. Could the outer sleeve be pressed on in the wrong place so the distance to the gear teeth is too great?
Robert

Well, it sounds like something is letting it reside at the incorrect distance.

I decide that I need a place to hold drills and accessories near my DP. My small shop does not permit much space for this so I figured a table mounted to the DP column would be efficient:
42057834335_b9bc351a8f_b.jpg

28100810867_f59a42bf5c_b.jpg

43030040242_ed2751fef9_b.jpg

This is very solid. Need to find a friend with a pan brake to make the table with a small lip.

Robert

It just doesn't seem like the teeth are fully engaged to me. The key tries to torque away when you tighten it:

41287862660_872d00d1d0_h.jpg

The sleeve seems to be pressed on correctly?

41287863280_4d62083e28_h.jpg

Can the sleeve be moved closer (further down)? Does the sleeve have a boss or lip that stops its travel when pressing? I have never disassembled a drill chuck.

Robert

It just doesn't seem like the teeth are fully engaged to me. The key tries to torque away when you tighten it:

The sleeve seems to be pressed on correctly?

Can the sleeve be moved closer (further down)? Does the sleeve have a boss or lip that stops its travel when pressing? I have never disassembled a drill chuck.

Robert

Robert, I too have never disassembled a chuck. But, what I can tell you is that is exactly how my broken chuck was when they asked me to send in to them. Like I said they no longer made the repair parts for my chuck and sent me a brand spanking new one.

The rebuild kit for this chuck is almost as much as a new chuck! Silly. The chuck has no evidence of wear and seems to be assembled correctly. I am wondering if I have a defective key. Anyone out there happen to have a K3 key they could measure?
Robert

Last edited:
usually when you reassemble a drill chuck you press the sleeve on (really you press the body into the sleeve) until the key properly engages and then you're good. Don't know about superchucks as I've only ever done plain bearing chucks, but I would imagine that they work the same. Won't take much movement or force to get it right.

Back