Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

The videos I have seen of Jacobs chucks show the sleeve being pressed until it bottoms out? Is that wrong?
Robert

it's a while since I last did one, but there's a bit of wriggle room in how far you press it in. If you press the body into the sleeve far enough that the key won't fit, you press the body out a wee bit until it does, and vice versa. Looks like the body on yours was pressed in too far. Just put it in a press, supporting the sleeve with the jaws 1/2 way out and carefully press on the top of the body (not the jaws) a smidge, should be a piece of cake. Like I said, I've never done a ball bearing chuck, but they're still pretty simple. Take your time and if possible use an arbor press.

Reactions: rwm
it's a while since I last did one, but there's a bit of wriggle room in how far you press it in. If you press the body into the sleeve far enough that the key won't fit, you press the body out a wee bit until it does, and vice versa. Looks like the body on yours was pressed in too far. Just put it in a press, supporting the sleeve with the jaws 1/2 way out and carefully press on the top of the body (not the jaws) a smidge, should be a piece of cake. Like I said, I've never done a ball bearing chuck, but they're still pretty simple. Take your time and if possible use an arbor press.

Thanks Matt. I will give it a try when I have access to a press.
Robert

Since my drill press has the oil table, I need a way to clamp work and have a space below to drill through. Here is my idea:

44168414322_39e01fdecf_h.jpg

I found a 10" lathe faceplate on eBay. This has 6 T slots and a center hole. It is about 2" thick and weight in at 33 lbs. I plan to make an aluminum plug to make the center hole smaller. I can use the t slots for clamping. I am torn about needing to routinely secure the faceplate to the table. I highly doubt the drill could spin this massive object except maybe when drilling a rather large hole. I have a plan to make an arm that extends from one of the t slots to the column if needed. I have never seen a faceplate used this way but it seems to be much like the round drill press tables that you see.

I still did not finish the accessory tray since I don't have access to a pan brake. I will post that up when I get it done.
Robert

Worked on it this morning. Like this:

30353233748_c4ff928c0c_h.jpg

Robert

Matt- you were all over this one! I pressed the collar on the chuck about 1mm towards the jaws and now the key is a perfect fit!
Thank you.
Robert

Anti-rotation arm:

29510080687_2bf11f4024_h.jpg

Slides into the T-slot and brackets the column. Still allows one to move the table a little to line up a punch mark.

Robert

I finally finished my accessory table:

1537842577766.png

I found stainless baking trays on eBay super cheap.

Robert

My drill press came with a high quality industrial on-off switch, however, it was a push button switch and not easy to hit in a panic stop. I decided to swap it out for a safer switch. I think this is an improvement:

1540650006460.png

Robert

Back