Clean and repair South Bend 9" lathe Model A with 4-1/2' bed.

Got it set so that there is no twist now. It’s perfect from front to back with only a slight amount of lean headstock to tailshaft end.
Took a few cuts and had to adjust tailshaft screws to get it just right but after a few tries I’m now within a thou.
I figure this is good enough since things will most likely change again due to the way it’s set up in a raised house on a wooden bench. F4524DBA-644D-4FE9-B1F3-3D499C13685F.jpeg597A0EEE-1E4A-4AB7-9316-56FF0608A9FC.jpeg

Well, I think I’m about finished this project. I don’t plan on painting it especially since I don’t have the free time. In addition im not concerned how it looks. As long as it’s fully functional and accurate I’m golden.

0FA41676-9674-4F88-8033-0AE1BABA4B3D.jpeg

A19B5C61-1E9A-430A-8598-DFEDFB0F694C.jpeg

I need one of those levels!
Yeah Greg, I think the a precision level is a real lifesaver when dealing with a lathe. It's just hard to tune it in with a bed-twist.
I was really surprised how much twist I had. Mind you, I had leveled this lathe. And it's set on that 1/4" angle iron / square tube base. And that's sitting on a pretty heavy wooden bench with 2" thick top and 4x4 legs/frame.
Even with all that, the bed had twisted a good bit.

In any case, I'd be going nuts trying to figure this out if I did not have a good machinist level.

It'll be nice once I get a better workshop with a concrete slab.

Back