Cleaned up the table on my Bridgeport

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
After cleaning other metalwork on my mill the other day, I tried my hand at sprucing up the table. Again I use strips of Scotch-brite pads with a small piece of 2x4 behind it. I applied WD-40 Degreaser to the pad before using it.

Photo 1 was when I bought the mill earlier this year. Photo 2 was this morning.

Attachments

• Table before.jpg
    Table before.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
  • table after.jpg
    table after.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 162
Gosh, stupid me, I thought it was for machine way lubrication! Seriously 'tho, of course I use it for rust protection, but still it is not fully effective for rust protection.

but still it is not fully effective for rust protection.
Location, location, location.

I can give my mill table a light spray with wd-40 and it will stay rust free. Or if I just use it , it gets enough oil on it to keep it free from rust. Of course I live in central Texas AND have a climate controlled shop. :)

Location, location, location.

I can give my mill table a light spray with wd-40 and it will stay rust free. Or if I just use it , it gets enough oil on it to keep it free from rust. Of course I live in central Texas AND have a climate controlled shop. :)
My shop is controlled by the climate!

That mill looks to be in really nice condition. Shortly after I got my mill and got it cleaned up I installed some neoprene rubber covers over the front and back ways on the knee. I really think it was money well spent as there is virtually never chips on the ways. Just some food for thought. You can see the covers in the attached photo.DSCN0410-01.jpg

That mill looks to be in really nice condition. Shortly after I got my mill and got it cleaned up I installed some neoprene rubber covers over the front and back ways on the knee. I really think it was money well spent as there is virtually never chips on the ways. Just some food for thought. You can see the covers in the attached photo.

Great minds work alike!

Attachments

• covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 121
That mill looks to be in really nice condition. Shortly after I got my mill and got it cleaned up I installed some neoprene rubber covers over the front and back ways on the knee. I really think it was money well spent as there is virtually never chips on the ways. Just some food for thought. You can see the covers in the attached photo.View attachment 374869
Here something like that would be so rusty underneath it would be far worse than without. I use a cloth cover when my mill is not in use. And never any rust. Here if you don't have something that breathes the condensation will eat it alive. I have to laugh when I see somebody with a plastic tarp over their car because they will be in for a big shock when they uncover it.

Back