Cleaned up the table on my Bridgeport

My covers stay on all of the time. There is little concern for rusting in my climate plus my ways are well oiled via an automatic Bijur oiler. C-Bag lives very close to the Pacific Ocean, hence the issues he encounters with rusting.

Ted
The only guys having a rust problem in the Sacramento North Valley, are those that have shops open to the environment.
This is my experience.
I hear about you guys in the humid belts that have lots of rust problems.

PFFFT, that ain't rust, this is rust....Then, and now
1628662282335.png
1628662565961.png

Then I got on to Fluid Film from a machine restorer from back east. Never heard of it. Guessed if it was good enough for the Navy it was good enough for my stuff. It has been outstanding. Just got to make sure I have a good coating and don't wipe it off until I go to use it. Best of all it's lanolin based so stays put and it not toxic.

I keep one can in the shop, and one can in each shed. Anything that's going into storage gets a good coat.
When I retrieve it it gets wiped off and looks great.

It is the best product I've found too.

-brino

I use and like Fluid Film. But sometimes I need it in a liquid (paintable) form. So I've bought pure lanolin. I soften/melt it with gentle heat, then mix with kerosene, turpentine or WD-40.

I use and like Fluid Film. But sometimes I need it in a liquid (paintable) form. So I've bought pure lanolin. I soften/melt it with gentle heat, then mix with kerosene, turpentine or WD-40.

A 12:1 ratio of 99% alcohol and lanolin makes a great homemade case lube!

That mill looks to be in really nice condition. Shortly after I got my mill and got it cleaned up I installed some neoprene rubber covers over the front and back ways on the knee. I really think it was money well spent as there is virtually never chips on the ways. Just some food for thought. You can see the covers in the attached photo.

If you're too cheap for neoprene, like I am, a piece of that walking belt from the treadmill you pulled the motor from that powers the mill will do the same thing.

That's me. The tread mill belting has been on my BP for years and has held up very well. The rear one is off at the moment, as I need to repair the broken way felt retainer. Mike

If you're too cheap for neoprene, like I am, a piece of that walking belt from the treadmill you pulled the motor from that powers the mill will do the same thing.

Back