Cleaned up the table on my Bridgeport

I put the covers on only when cutting. Agree with you about leaving them on. Can't speak for talvare.

I put the covers on only when cutting. Agree with you about leaving them on. Can't speak for talvare.

My covers stay on all of the time. There is little concern for rusting in my climate plus my ways are well oiled via an automatic Bijur oiler. C-Bag lives very close to the Pacific Ocean, hence the issues he encounters with rusting.

Ted

I use WD40 for my lathe. It is in storage here in the PNW and subject to high humidity. Not a touch of rust after several years. I do check it regularily and will spritz it ever so often.

All my life in the Central Valley of CA where humidity is like desert levels I seldom had to worry about rust if the stuff was inside. Until I had to store stuff in my FIL's shop that was a converted hydroponics shed. The old fertilizer even under the cement floor caused rust and was dependent on how far away from the floor the steel was. I had rust on the bottom of my roll away from it. WD40 was all I knew of and was and completely ineffectual as it evaporates. Things got way worse when we moved to the coast so I'd moved on to Boeshield and their related products. Much better than WD but not great. Then I got on to Fluid Film from a machine restorer from back east. Never heard of it. Guessed if it was good enough for the Navy it was good enough for my stuff. It has been outstanding. Just got to make sure I have a good coating and don't wipe it off until I go to use it. Best of all it's lanolin based so stays put and it not toxic.

All my life in the Central Valley of CA where humidity is like desert levels I seldom had to worry about rust if the stuff was inside. Until I had to store stuff in my FIL's shop that was a converted hydroponics shed. The old fertilizer even under the cement floor caused rust and was dependent on how far away from the floor the steel was. I had rust on the bottom of my roll away from it. WD40 was all I knew of and was and completely ineffectual as it evaporates. Things got way worse when we moved to the coast so I'd moved on to Boeshield and their related products. Much better than WD but not great. Then I got on to Fluid Film from a machine restorer from back east. Never heard of it. Guessed if it was good enough for the Navy it was good enough for my stuff. It has been outstanding. Just got to make sure I have a good coating and don't wipe it off until I go to use it. Best of all it's lanolin based so stays put and it not toxic.
Which version of Fluid Film do you use? There seems to be many kinds for sale.

Seems it is like BoeShield. When you go to buy some, there's a bewildering array of different kinds.

I think that's only back east where it's used as an undercoating. Out here all I've ever seen is the stuff in the cans I posted. For machine tool preservation it's all I need. It's also very economical as I mostly use it for preserving. Some uses are pretty amazing though.

Like I was trying to spray some Awesome on my solar panels as a pre spray to get rid of humming bird poo. Yeah, that's right, they leave these little yellow gold dots all over. And regular soap and water doesn't even phase it. But Awesome loosens and dissolves it. But the spray bottle pump was sticking. Tried WD, and other stuff, no bueno. As a last ditch before I tossed the spray bottle I used Fluid Film, and I'll be dipped it freed it up and it's still working perfect. Whoda thunk?

Last edited:
I absolutely love fluid film for rust prevention. In the humid south east nothing else seems to work as well or for as long.

Back