Cleaning up the garage

Well, it's almost finished! There's only one small pile of stuff on a portable bench to get sorted and stored. Here's a couple of pictures of the garage.
View attachment 486828View attachment 486829View attachment 486830View attachment 486831
1st picture, the remaining stuff to get sorted. I have to get some storage containers of some sort. Bins, jars, boxes, suggestions?

2nd picture, the new to me lathe, and the drill presses to the left of the picture. There's also a Sunnen honing machine back by the stair landing. If I were to acquire a milling machine, I have no idea where I'd put it. Start over on the garage cleanup?

3rd picture, bolt bins! Lots of bolt bins!

4th picture, the rolling workbench, toolbox, what can I say thing! It's now rolling on no flat tires. Hopefully they won't flatspot if not moved too much. So now I have to get back to the Whatever project and get some more of the project done.

View attachment 486832
And here's one of the first things in the queue. It's a 1962 Borg Warner T10 transmission. And that big shaft between the two needs to get inside one. 1st step, get the left one apart. 2nd step, sort out the good from the bad. 3rd step, make a list of parts to purchase. 4th step, put it all back together.

That's all for now, the T10 rebuild will be in the Whatever project thread.
Love the distributor machine.

Love the distributor machine.
That was given to me in 74 I think, maybe 75, by the sponsor of the engines in my dirt modified. It was in the back of his shop, unused and in his way, truck repair business, and he had an engine that he had sponsored for another racer who retired from racing. I got it operating again and taught myself how to use it. Then repaired distributors, and recurved them for a little extra money for the racecar.

It's currently not operational, as it needs some of the old capacitors replaced. I have a blueprint for the circuitry from Allen, that they sent me around 1980, when I wrote asking for any information on the machine. One of these days I'll make a real effort to get all new capacitors and get it running again. That, and there's a boring bar and the small engine stand, 2 valve grinding machines, 2 valve seat grinders, a Nuway valve seat cutter system, and a couple of other machines that found their way to me. I'm a sucker for "free" stuff, and you all know the real cost of free stuff? And there's also a Sunnen honing machine from 1928! And it works like new! It came out of a garage in my hometown. The old mechanic was retiring, in his 80s I swear, and the hone was headed to the town dump. He had bought it new in 1928, for fitting kingpin bushings. I got it in 74. Just thinking about it, and it will be 100 years old in 4 more years.

But I just can't help myself sometimes. Sending that stuff to the scrap yard is just wrong, in my opinion. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere to donate or something like that, the stuff. I can see it in my head, a diorama of a shop or garage from the era of the machines. Most of them are 40s to early 60s. With one being almost 100 years old. I feel young when I stand next to these machines...

That was given to me in 74 I think, maybe 75, by the sponsor of the engines in my dirt modified. It was in the back of his shop, unused and in his way, truck repair business, and he had an engine that he had sponsored for another racer who retired from racing. I got it operating again and taught myself how to use it. Then repaired distributors, and recurved them for a little extra money for the racecar.

It's currently not operational, as it needs some of the old capacitors replaced. I have a blueprint for the circuitry from Allen, that they sent me around 1980, when I wrote asking for any information on the machine. One of these days I'll make a real effort to get all new capacitors and get it running again. That, and there's a boring bar and the small engine stand, 2 valve grinding machines, 2 valve seat grinders, a Nuway valve seat cutter system, and a couple of other machines that found their way to me. I'm a sucker for "free" stuff, and you all know the real cost of free stuff? And there's also a Sunnen honing machine from 1928! And it works like new! It came out of a garage in my hometown. The old mechanic was retiring, in his 80s I swear, and the hone was headed to the town dump. He had bought it new in 1928, for fitting kingpin bushings. I got it in 74. Just thinking about it, and it will be 100 years old in 4 more years.

But I just can't help myself sometimes. Sending that stuff to the scrap yard is just wrong, in my opinion. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere to donate or something like that, the stuff. I can see it in my head, a diorama of a shop or garage from the era of the machines. Most of them are 40s to early 60s. With one being almost 100 years old. I feel young when I stand next to these machines...
You have/had some really nice equipment and when I saw the distributor recurve machine it brought back the last time I had a distributor done in 1967. they were done on I believe a Sun (as in tachs) distributor machine by Pontiac guru Nunzi Romano's shop in Brooklyn N.Y. When I went from Pontiac power to Big Block Chevys I used a W&H Duel Coil unit that caused havoc at the most inconvenient times at the track would only fire off 4 of the 8 cylinders. The problem after working with W&H was the need for a bleed off resistor. AH the good old days. I'm glad that you are willing to give things away rather then scrap anything. Racing history and the tools of a bygone era need to be preserved.

I feel the same. Too much gets thrown out, nothing gets rebuilt.
I started out working in the parts dept. at a Ford dealer.
We had parts catalogs way back to the 20's.
Back then you could rebuild everything. Water pumps, generators, starters, distributors.
Remember the diaphragm fuel pumps that ran off the cam shaft?
You could buy the lever, the spring, pin, diaphragm, hose nipple etc.
Just a quick example.
Lots of fun looking at those old catalogs, mechanical/artistic drawing and all.

Back