Cleaning up the garage

When we moved into this house 6 years ago, I did a lot of purging of stuff. SWMBO isn't one to collect things just to have. And she's never been a clothes collector. I'd swear she could live out of 2 suitcases. One would do for my clothes. But tools, and car stuff, that's on me. So even with a massive purge, I filled a 10x15 controlled environment storage space, a 20 foot container, and a 10x10 cold storage space for the yard equipment. And now I have to fit it all into a 24x30 garage and a 12x20 shed. And I have a little bit of stuff in the basement.

So this recent effort, with the light at the end of the tunnel, means that I can now walk around the garage and not kill myself. The shed not so much... I'll get to that during the summer.

there was a local "surplus craft supply sale" at one of the churches, my wife filled 6 tables... and i cant tell where it came from... but i just bought her a new craft cutter machine and me a cheapo mag drill... so i cant complain too much

there was a local "surplus craft supply sale" at one of the churches, my wife filled 6 tables... and i cant tell where it came from... but i just bought her a new craft cutter machine and me a cheapo mag drill... so i cant complain too much
And then I go and get some more stuff too. Will I ever learn? What fun would that be? I'm making progress on the garage. I have to clear off 2 small fold up welding tables currently covered with carefully curated components and the like. But that's just a matter of time before I get it finished...

Wahoo! Used the new to me lathe today for the first time! Okay so it was just drilling the ends of a piece of heavy wall tubing to the tap drill size for a 5/8-11 tap. Couldn't find the tap, so that project is still undone...

And there's a new roll-around in the garage. So I actually got the tools off of the benches and stored properly. And it is a good thing too. I've been collecting parts for Son of Whatever, not really knowing what I was going to build. Today it came into focus. And I think I have most of the stuff to build it with. And you all know how that goes...

My wife and I just moved to a "Senior Living" facility, into a ~1200 SF apartment, downsizing from our ~2700 SF house. I've just finished emptying out my ~1500 SF detached shop building. Sold off the big machine tools, then started giving things away ... happy to see them go to new homes with folks who would appreciate them. I'm sure I'll sorely miss many of my tools and toys, but I'm really happy to be done with the task!

My wife and I just moved to a "Senior Living" facility, into a ~1200 SF apartment, downsizing from our ~2700 SF house. I've just finished emptying out my ~1500 SF detached shop building. Sold off the big machine tools, then started giving things away ... happy to see them go to new homes with folks who would appreciate them. I'm sure I'll sorely miss many of my tools and toys, but I'm really happy to be done with the task!
I'm not looking forward to that eventuality! I know I should start planning for it. I wonder if those facilities would understand if we brought something like a Unimat lathe there. I've got one, it's in a box just smaller than my small Gerstner box.

I have already warned my nephew that when he builds his new garage, to make sure that it's large enough to hold most of the stuff in the garage.

Hi, I hope you both stay in good heath and grow into your new lifestyle well.

Well, it's almost finished! There's only one small pile of stuff on a portable bench to get sorted and stored. Here's a couple of pictures of the garage.
DSCN1927.JPGDSCN1928.JPGDSCN1929.JPGDSCN1930.JPG
1st picture, the remaining stuff to get sorted. I have to get some storage containers of some sort. Bins, jars, boxes, suggestions?

2nd picture, the new to me lathe, and the drill presses to the left of the picture. There's also a Sunnen honing machine back by the stair landing. If I were to acquire a milling machine, I have no idea where I'd put it. Start over on the garage cleanup?

3rd picture, bolt bins! Lots of bolt bins!

4th picture, the rolling workbench, toolbox, what can I say thing! It's now rolling on no flat tires. Hopefully they won't flatspot if not moved too much. So now I have to get back to the Whatever project and get some more of the project done.

DSCN1926.JPG
And here's one of the first things in the queue. It's a 1962 Borg Warner T10 transmission. And that big shaft between the two needs to get inside one. 1st step, get the left one apart. 2nd step, sort out the good from the bad. 3rd step, make a list of parts to purchase. 4th step, put it all back together.

That's all for now, the T10 rebuild will be in the Whatever project thread.

Back