Coaching/criticisms/advice for Wilton vise

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I bought a vise years ago that I thought was worthy of the effort to clean up. I love old vises, but I generally just fix whatever issue caused it to be sidelined and use or give them away. I thought a Wilton 300 was worth a little more effort. So there’s 3 pics here. As found, stripped, and then painted charcoal gray. I’m going to mill the “anvil” still. But in my opinion, my rattle can paint job is garbage. This is three light coats. Other than not using a rattle can, is there something obvious in the image that points to a mistake in application? I think I’m going to strip it and just clear coat it instead. Any suggestions? Should I have bondoed and sanded? That seemed silly for a tool that seemingly exists to be tortured. Anyways I think it looks ten times better without paint at all. All suggestions/criticism welcome. Just looking for opinions I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 66
Hmmm, you must be seeing something I’m not — I think the paint finish looks just fine. What were you expecting it to look like that does not meet your satisfaction?

Full disclosure: I am critical and do not typically tolerate poor finishing, but seriously I’m not seeing anything that sets me off.

I think it looks heavy. Like the paint is too thick maybe?

Ah, I think I know what you may be getting at.

I don’t think the paint is too thick (I mean, I could be but I don’t think it is — it’s hard to do that with only three coats of spray can paint) but it does look very uniform. And, sometimes we like the somewhat old and thin look that comes with age and use. The subtleties in finish depth, highlights, shadows, etc that we erase with a fresh coat of colour. I know, I’ve done this more than once and have regretted it. I do paint my machines, sometimes, and sometimes not and I can’t say one way is more to my liking the other. They’re just different. But I have learned to look at things carefully before I erase what’s there in an effort to make it look better!

Fear not, though, it will get old again as you use it. Just a question of whether we live long enough to see it. :)

I like it without the paint too, consider clear coating it though to prevent rust.
But the gray looks fine... It's a vise, not jewelry.

If you paint the lettering white, it will attract the eye and no one will even notice the grey :).

This seems like when my grandmother would serve delicious cookies and say they didn't turn out well this time. And we would say "no, grandma, they're perfect".

Your vise looks delicious.

Yeah maybe my expectations weren’t realistic or I’m being too critical. I was toying with the idea of painting the lettering. I’m missing some letters though. I reckon it’ll be the only Wilton made in Iller Park Illinois. Ha!

Looks fine to me. I painted up my wilson and it looked all pretty - now it has a bunch of chips and dents and gouges in it, which is great because it means I'm using it constantly. Depends what you want it for; as a tool or as an object. Both are fine, but with very different expectations.

Back