Coaching/criticisms/advice for Wilton vise

Ok I think I know what my problem is. This is probably a gift. It’s not for me. That’s why I’m more concerned about it than normal. Yeah it’s not jewelry, but if you’re doing work on something for someone else, the stakes go up dramatically.

It is cast, not perfect surface.

Build up with paint or filler or just use it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

What was the original color of the Wiltons ? I have a 6" that appears to be a greenish blue color . I believe the Starretts were a blue and the Littlestowns were a green . One of these years I would like to get to all of these .

Hammered Verde Green and Hammered Light Blue, courtesy of the nice fellows over at GJ, would be as close a match as you can get.

It's a vise - It looks fine, and whoever you're giving it to will think that also.
Bondo filling and striving for concours finish on a tool like this is the road to madness, and sadness, when it chips off in normal use.

So I bought a vise years ago that I thought was worthy of the effort to clean up. I love old vises, but I generally just fix whatever issue caused it to be sidelined and use or give them away. I thought a Wilton 300 was worth a little more effort. So there’s 3 pics here. As found, stripped, and then painted charcoal gray. I’m going to mill the “anvil” still. But in my opinion, my rattle can paint job is garbage. This is three light coats. Other than not using a rattle can, is there something obvious in the image that points to a mistake in application? I think I’m going to strip it and just clear coat it instead. Any suggestions? Should I have bondoed and sanded? That seemed silly for a tool that seemingly exists to be tortured. Anyways I think it looks ten times better without paint at all. All suggestions/criticism welcome. Just looking for opinions I guess.
It's actually a Wilton C0 rather than a 300. The 300 has 3" wide jaws and no pipe jaws. Yours has 3.5" jaws and pipe jaws.

I think it looks fine, but people get very particular about vise paint. A couple of things are going on here. For one, it's a casting with irregularities and grain, then the paint has a fair amount of gloss to it, and that makes every little thing more obvious. Some folks will sand/smooth/fill and then paint to get them looking like the fender on a new car and I think it looks terrible because it makes them look like they're carved out of plastic, but some people love them. The newer vises are painted with a hammered paint that makes all the irregularities blend together and that's probably what you're used to seeing.

For the folks asking about color, it varied with the era. After restoring 100+ Wiltons I have owned or handled them with original paint and stickers going from the very earliest made in 1941/1942 to brand new. All have been some variation of green. Nobody is 100% certain of the exact color as even a vise with original paint and stickers will be subjected to fading due to age and UV or chemical exposure, but they're still always some kind of green. The earliest vise on up through the 1960s had a green/grey/blue kind of color that is very, very hard to match. I've taken an original vise from that era to a paint shop and they matched it, but it was $30 for one rattle can, so I only did two vises with it.

I have actually had vises from the same year that had original paint and stickers and the paint color was obviously different and fading wouldn't seem to have been a factor because the stickers looked pretty much the same. I suspect Wilton probably had more than one source of paint, and since they're vises, not cars, a little variation in the hue didn't bother them.

Starting in the 70s they switched to the modern hammered Verde Green and have stuck with that. They've gone a little lighter/heavier on the hammered level at times, but I think that could also just be who's running the paint operation at the time. If you do a couple of quick, light coats you get very little hammered effect, but if you go really heavy almost to the point of running it will be much more hammered.

There is actually a current paint color I found to replicate the early color, but I won't openly post that information. Sadly, there are a handful of guys buying older Wiltons, restoring them carefully, applying reproduction Wilton stickers then artificially aging them and selling them as original survivors on eBay for outrageous amounts. They always get the color wrong, often get the sticker size or variation wrong, and one other thing I can spot that I also won't tell anybody about. Funny thing, the same handful of guys keep finding "original" paint and sticker vises that are 75 years old!

Lots more info on vises and Wiltons on my website: www.mivise.com

What was the original color of the Wiltons ? I have a 6" that appears to be a greenish blue color . I believe the Starretts were a blue and the Littlestowns were a green . One of these years I would like to get to all of these .
See my post above. It changed over time, but they were all some variation of green/blue/grey. Look at the date stamp on your vise to get the year it was made and I can give you a better answer. Unscrew the moving jaw all the way until it comes out, flip it upside down, wipe the key clean and you'll find a date stamp. That's when the vise was released for sale (castings often sat for months before being finished).

My 6" Wilton is sitting on the bedroom floor at this moment in pieces . This was the one with the stripped out nut piece . I'll check it out after 2 coffees .

Edit ! The Starrett is laying on the bedroom floor in pieces . The Wilton is alive and well in the garage . Jeez , where's my coffee ?

I think I looks fine but if you do strip it. A good formula for clear coat: Boiled Linseed Oil and Japan Dryer, use the maximum amount of dryer recommended on can but no more. Apply 2-3 light coats with a brush or rag, dry overnight between coats and be sure to soak rag in water before disposing. Works well on Cast Iron and Steel.

Here is a picture of my recently restored Wilton with greenish hammer finish:
1.jpeg
Special thanks to G-ManBart for his generous deal on the needed parts.

Back