Coaching/criticisms/advice for Wilton vise

Nice looking vise Ed ! :encourage: Hm............I wonder if @G-ManBart has any Starrett parts ?
I wish I did! I only managed to find a handful of Starrett vises over the years and luckily they were all complete. They were one of the absolute strongest vises made for any given jaw size, no question.

I wish I did! I only managed to find a handful of Starrett vises over the years and luckily they were all complete. They were one of the absolute strongest vises made for any given jaw size, no question.
I have a 5" 925 Starrett with stripped internal thread . The plan was to press a thread sleeve in after boring out out . If I could find the original part I'de go for it . Haven't put any time into these projects lately but need to soon .

Here's a picture of a Wilton C0 that I painted with Rustoleum Hammered Verde Green next to a Wilton C3 (6" jaw, 175lbs) that is still attached to the factory shipping board, so definitely original paint. The Wilton color is a bit darker as you can see. I wasn't trying for a museum finish on the C0 or I would have gone heavier on the paint to get more of a hammered look, and that will darken the appearance somewhat.

Quality bench vises are a lot like lathes...they get exponentially bigger and heavier as you go up in swing/jaw width. 3.5" jaw and 50lbs to 6" jaw and 175lbs :eek: The C0 was from the 70s...they got a big larger/heavier in the late 90s where the tail cap area got bigger (similar in style to this C3).

IMG_0273D.JPG

I have a vise I can't identify other than Made in USA stamps . I'll post a pic if anyone could identify it .

Here's a picture of a Wilton C0 that I painted with Rustoleum Hammered Verde Green next to a Wilton C3 (6" jaw, 175lbs) that is still attached to the factory shipping board, so definitely original paint. The Wilton color is a bit darker as you can see. I wasn't trying for a museum finish on the C0 or I would have gone heavier on the paint to get more of a hammered look, and that will darken the appearance somewhat.

Quality bench vises are a lot like lathes...they get exponentially bigger and heavier as you go up in swing/jaw width. 3.5" jaw and 50lbs to 6" jaw and 175lbs :eek: The C0 was from the 70s...they got a big larger/heavier in the late 90s where the tail cap area got bigger (similar in style to this C3).

View attachment 454551

Can't wait to have the workshop built... that is another tool I have been holding off buying... I want one of those Wilton C3s....

Can't wait to have the workshop built... that is another tool I have been holding off buying... I want one of those Wilton C3s....

I've had a pile of bigger vises up to 8" jaws and 250lbs...sold all but the C3 as they were simply impractical, even when I owned a bull dozer, backhoe, dump truck, etc. The big problem is that the 6" and bigger vises are too tall to use on a normal workbench unless you're a really tall person. They put the work around my armpits, so they really have to be mounted on a stand at the right height to be useful. I have the material to make a stand for the C3, I just haven't needed it for anything and it's been on the dolly for years now. The only reason I have a vise this big is to work on other vises. I actually have a picture of the C0 from above in the C3 above doing a repair to the dust cap assembly (pins were loose)...this is about the only time I use the C3. I forgot, but this shows the factory grease Wilton uses...it's thick like cosmoline.

IMG_9505.jpg

To put it in perspective, the Army uses Wilton C2s (5" jaw, 100lbs) on the trailers they use to repair M1 tanks. If you're working on stuff bigger than an M1 tank, maybe a C3 is helpful...lol. The folks on Garage Journal would have you believe you can't do anything with a vise smaller than 6" and 150lbs or so. In reality, the most common vise size in welding and fabrication shops is 4.5" and 75lbs give or take.

I think the OP's C0 is a great size for hobby shop use....doesn't take up a bunch of space on the bench, will hold most anything needed, and doesn't cost $1,500. One of my most uses Wiltons is a little 300 with 3" jaws...use it a hundred times more than the big vises.

Taking the Starrett out of my room right now ! :grin: Been in there for 3 months . :rolleyes:

I've had a pile of bigger vises up to 8" jaws and 250lbs...sold all but the C3 as they were simply impractical, even when I owned a bull dozer, backhoe, dump truck, etc. The big problem is that the 6" and bigger vises are too tall to use on a normal workbench unless you're a really tall person. They put the work around my armpits, so they really have to be mounted on a stand at the right height to be useful. I have the material to make a stand for the C3, I just haven't needed it for anything and it's been on the dolly for years now. The only reason I have a vise this big is to work on other vises. I actually have a picture of the C0 from above in the C3 above doing a repair to the dust cap assembly (pins were loose)...this is about the only time I use the C3. I forgot, but this shows the factory grease Wilton uses...it's thick like cosmoline.

View attachment 454572

To put it in perspective, the Army uses Wilton C2s (5" jaw, 100lbs) on the trailers they use to repair M1 tanks. If you're working on stuff bigger than an M1 tank, maybe a C3 is helpful...lol. The folks on Garage Journal would have you believe you can't do anything with a vise smaller than 6" and 150lbs or so. In reality, the most common vise size in welding and fabrication shops is 4.5" and 75lbs give or take.

I think the OP's C0 is a great size for hobby shop use....doesn't take up a bunch of space on the bench, will hold most anything needed, and doesn't cost $1,500. One of my most uses Wiltons is a little 300 with 3" jaws...use it a hundred times more than the big vises.

I have a 9300... needed some work when I got it. And I still need to make the locking handles that were missing (using nuts for now)... but it is looking better... Could not find the correct spray paint color as it was sold out everywhere... So ended up using Rust Oleum hammered green paint...

Wilton-9300.jpeg

So thank you for the additional comments... Makes sense to go with a 4"-5" vise instead.

Taking the Starrett out of my room right now ! :grin: Been in there for 3 months . :rolleyes:
Photos!!

Last edited:
Embarrased to show my paltry amount of vises , but what I have remaining is now together . :grin: Starrett 925 , Wilton 6" with the copper soft jaws , Wilton 4500 , Unknown USA vise and my Dads little Littlestown vise . I've sold so many vises out on the road at yard sales I couldn't count them .

Attachments

• IMG_9831.JPG
    IMG_9831.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9832.JPG
    IMG_9832.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 20
Not that you needed a co-signer g-man bart, but I’m in agreement. I somewhat accidentally bought a 230 pound Prentiss (maybe a 21 or 23?) many years ago. It sat on a pallet for 3 years before I sold it. I just had no space or need for a vise that size. The 4” Rock Island vise I bought with it, was mounted same day, and been in service ever since. It’s a great vise at a great size!

Back