Companion Drill press - replace chuck

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old companion drill press that has a keyless chuck that has seen better days.
It looks like a 1/2" fine thread (maybe 20tpi?).

Does anyone know if this can be replaced? Is the threaded portion part of the spindle, or just pressed in?

Pics are attached.

-Tom IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg

Last edited:
I have no clue how your drill press goes together, but I have an old Jacobs catalog that
also lists Albrecht chucks. They used to sell thread mount chucks in a variety of types.
I you can determine what thread you have, post it and I'll look up the model no. for you.
You might get lucky and find one on eBay.

Do you plan on rebuilding the DP, or are you just trying to replace the chuck?

I have a similar chuck somewhere around here.
I bought it at Sears along with a couple odd centers for a wood lathe I was putting together.
This particular chuck screwed onto a threaded shaft with a (iirc) 1/2" hole on the other end to mount it to a motor or shaft.
It's very simple with spring-loaded jaws similar to this: https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Drill-Chuck-1F612 perhaps this will work on your machine?

Use a caliper to measure the outside diameter of the threads. Use a thread gauge to measure the pitch. Look up and find the thread. Then search on Google for drill chuck with ______ thread. If you don't own a thread gauge, you should buy one, useful in any event.

you might have dismantled the chuck when you removed it, rather than removing it and its arbor from the spindle.

Is there a slot in the side of the quill when you lower it? It really looks like that threaded piece is a male arbor that goes into a female socket in the end of the spindle. I can't recall ever seeing a drill press with a threaded end, they're always either male or female tapers. Had a quick look online and couldn't find any good pics. One thread said the spindle was threaded 1/2-24 at the end, another one said to use wedges to remove the chuck (= taper). Bit of a mystery!

you might have dismantled the chuck when you removed it, rather than removing it and its arbor from the spindle.

Is there a slot in the side of the quill when you lower it? It really looks like that threaded piece is a male arbor that goes into a female socket in the end of the spindle. I can't recall ever seeing a drill press with a threaded end, they're always either male or female tapers. Had a quick look online and couldn't find any good pics. One thread said the spindle was threaded 1/2-24 at the end, another one said to use wedges to remove the chuck (= taper). Bit of a mystery!
I’m fairly familiar with this low cost keyless chuck style. I agree research on this companion press is spotty. But I’m starting to agree I can just buy a threaded chuck and get by. I was hoping for someone who has one of these, and could provide some info.
Tom

you may struggle to find a chuck with a 1/2-24 thread, if that's what it is. Really surprised to see a male threaded end on a drill press spindle, that'll be my first!

I have a similar chuck somewhere around here.
I bought it at Sears along with a couple odd centers for a wood lathe I was putting together.
This particular chuck screwed onto a threaded shaft with a (iirc) 1/2" hole on the other end to mount it to a motor or shaft.
It's very simple with spring-loaded jaws similar to this: https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Drill-Chuck-1F612 perhaps this will work on your machine?
Glad to hear that there may be replacements available. I'll get the thread pitch (I was lazy, and my thread gauge is packed away from my recent move). Visually, it LOOKS finer than 1/2-20, but i'm hoping it is something fairly standard. I don't want to make an adaptor, as the Z height is small enough on these benchtop drill presses!

-Tom

I confirmed that the spindle is in fact 1/2-24 thread. For about 2” on the end.

bummer. Considering turning an adaptor so I can use a more common chuck.

that will eat up travel, but this is a small press, and I may just leave it setup for odd jobs.

Here is the chuck you need.

By the way, have yo lowered the quill all the way to see if you can drive the arbor out with a wedge and replace it with it with a standard arbor?

1616004083998.png

Back