Confessions of a deburring butcher

I'll supply the first thread drift. Any machined parts I've had a hand in years past, deburring was finished off with sanding belts with a fine grit. Being careful not to damage the machined finish. I now use a fine cut file; don't know what number it is. I'll wipe it down with Scotchbrite to further smooth it.

Deburring and overall finishing is not just files for me. I have two sets of inexpensive jewelers files for small stuff and a drawer full of assorted files I’ve picked up over the decades. But just as important is holding fixtures and proper lighting as it’s basically trying to hit a moving target otherwise. If it’s aluminum I don’t even try to use files as I get a much nicer even finish with deburring tool.

Filing is more about the filer than the work because your technique takes a consistent stroke in angle and pressure. There’s not that much I do that I want to spend that much time on.

I have enjoyed the 3M deburring wheel, sort of a Scotchbrite product. It makes fast and smooth deburring pretty effortless. The material removal rate is impressive, and very controllable.

There is something very satisfying about using a good file and controlling it well. I use several different methods for de-burring, but always have several different types of files on the bench. The half rounds, and round files can work well in tight areas. Mike

I'll try to answer the OP's question directly although I haven't much to offer. I have a few standard mill files that I use to break the edges on parts post machining. For the most part, I don't get too carried away with the operation other than burr removal. For close work or tight spaces, I have a set of Nicholson die sinkers.
1682096276571.png
I use them only for harder materials as they load easily, never AL or softer. On that note, my best friend in the file world is my file card/cleaning brushes. I find that these allow me the best chance to repeat the performance of the file from project to project. Amazing what a file can do if it is kept reasonably clean. I have even used them to put a final finish on some parts or to take off the last few tenths during turning operations. I keep mill files at every machine, but I keep them clean.

From what I understand the bastard cut files were originally used to torture people. I haven't tried that yet-

but the day is young..
and who needs customers anyway..........

Is there a cut you find yourself going back to over and over?
so, I think the half round is my most used file. But whatever works, I have used most every type of file over the years. I find that I need safe sided files quite often. It's really based on the job at hand. If you don't have a file when you need it , you'll know it. If you have more than you need, you'll be happy trying to figure out which to use. I gave my son 2 sets of needles for his use. He has a 3d printer. I also gave him my sharpest triangle deburrer. I have others, but I thought he could use it for his prints.

Back