Confessions of a deburring butcher

as far as cleanning a file, I have a good card file, but I also learned a trick that I love to use on certain files.
I take a nail, cut off the head, pound it on an anvil to make a flat end, then I run the flat end over the file so that the teeth cut into the flat part. It makes a comb for the file. Generally it will work with files of the same cut #.. (tpi). It cleans the fine files great, and doess not ruin the file. It will clean even the most stubborn pitted fill. Forgot to mention, I take a dowel and make a handle for the nail.

There is something very satisfying about using a good file and controlling it well. I use several different methods for de-burring, but always have several different types of files on the bench. The half rounds, and round files can work well in tight areas. Mike
My old half round and some round chain saw sharpening files seem to be my goto.

as far as cleanning a file, I have a good card file, but I also learned a trick that I love to use on certain files.
I take a nail, cut off the head, pound it on an anvil to make a flat end, then I run the flat end over the file so that the teeth cut into the flat part. It makes a comb for the file. Generally it will work with files of the same cut #.. (tpi). It cleans the fine files great, and doess not ruin the file. It will clean even the most stubborn pitted fill. Forgot to mention, I take a dowel and make a handle for the nail.
Hmm, never heard of that. Always had a card file and its so so for real cleaning. Gets the surface stuff off for sure. A couple of guys on another site said they used old chop stix for deep cleaning especially fine files and that has become my best way to really deep clean a file. Very time consuming as is filing.

I generally use a rasp on my work, improves the surface finish usually. Seriously, I do enjoy finishing a piece off with a god filing, and I have a pretty god assortment, but a couple of favorites.

I worked with a couple of German guys, you spend a few years on the de burring bench before touching a machine.
My buddy down the street apprenticed in a company in Hamburg that made sextants and precision clocks etc for ships. He spent some time with files because their required projects were all done with hand tools and mostly files. His brother became an instructor in the apprenticeship program for his company and my buddy inherited several of the tools his students gave him. Way nicer than anything I made in metal shop :)

I just received this set of Dick Esslinger Swiss style needle files from West Germany. 160mm long and no 2 cut. It's hard to see the file marks without good lighting.

My nephew 3d printed a holder that makes it easier for my fat fingers to grab them without getting stabbed. 20230421_172334.jpg

The quality is outstanding. Clean precise cuts. Extremely consistent.

These in combination with the coarser cuts I've got coming and I'll be set for tight places.

I'm going to work these into the rotation a bit more often.
20230421_173743.jpg

Top is a second cut Bahco
Next is a safe edge #4
Then a safe edge #1
Then two #3 round files

I think I'll start gravitating toward the safe edge no 1 cut a bit more often. That was a nice flea market find. That thin #4 is pretty nice too.

How come no one told me about Crochet files! I've got a #2 and #3 cut coming with a 6" cut. Looks perfect for blending in a radius in a corner. $25 for two Disston brand files. Not bad.

How come no one told me about Crochet files! I've got a #2 and #3 cut coming with a 6" cut. Looks perfect for blending in a radius in a corner. $25 for two Disston brand files. Not bad.
I don't crochet! over 1 under 2 :rolleyes: or is it ... oh never mind.
What are crochet files?

edit: is that what the files in my picture are called with the hooks?

Back