Confessions of a deburring butcher

as far as cleanning a file, I have a good card file, but I also learned a trick that I love to use on certain files.
I take a nail, cut off the head, pound it on an anvil to make a flat end, then I run the flat end over the file so that the teeth cut into the flat part. It makes a comb for the file. Generally it will work with files of the same cut #.. (tpi). It cleans the fine files great, and doess not ruin the file. It will clean even the most stubborn pitted fill. Forgot to mention, I take a dowel and make a handle for the nail.
One of my friends swears by flattening a copper pipe and dragging that through the teeth sideways.

Do you guys have a favorite rust inhibitor for files that won't cause the file to load?

Have you ever soaked a slightly rusty file in vinegar?

An ultrasonic cleaner is surprisingly good for cleaning files. Debris just floats out of the teeth.

And by the way, I am definitely in the class of a "deburring butcher." A clean file just makes the butchering happen faster.

An ultrasonic cleaner is surprisingly good for cleaning files. Debris just floats out of the teeth.

And by the way, I am definitely in the class of a "deburring butcher." A clean file just makes the butchering happen faster.
I did some practice chamfers today with various files and various cuts. It's fun to play around with.

That's a great idea. I have to try this. Thanks :)

I've been looking for a set of good files, buying lots of crappy ones online until I found these Polish made needle files (by Befana-Vis company). The quality is very good and the price was cheap. If you can get them I highly recommend them.

I also got a number of large files made by a different local company. They are of great quality too.

When I was looking for needle files I often came across good quality Japanese and German files. They looked great too, but a needle file is a consumable and I would hate to break a $10 needle file. I paid ~$13 for a whole set of these so I'm not afraid to use them. Still I haven't broken a single one. Even the super sharp tip of the round file.

(yes they are dirty - I use them often)
Compress_20230423_142929_9268.jpg
Compress_20230423_142929_9487.jpg
Compress_20230423_142929_9685.jpgCompress_20230423_142929_9925.jpg

I use a brass bristle brush to clean my big files. I don't clean the needle files. I sometimes blow compressed air on them. That's it. I have to try the ultrasonic cleaner tip.

Now, let's briefly talk about Chinese files as through buying so many of them looking for quality at low price I "discovered" few facts.

- Traditional needle and big files Chinese make for export are horrible. Perhaps if one needs the steel to make a scraper they are a good deal, but not to be used as files.
- However, Chinese made metal bonded diamond files (needle too) are really good (and still cheap). I used a set of these before I got my current set and there was nothing wrong with them.

Regarding deburring. I have a one of those deburring tools mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of it. Sometimes it works well. Especially when deburring holes. Still a chamfering cutter in a cordless drill is much better. For long straight sections the deburring tool it is pretty bad. It either digs in, or it skates over the surface.

While squaring stock that will be machined further I deburr with a large flat file. When I'm doing a precision part, or I want it to look good I'll deburring with needle files, then I might stone the edges too.

Back