Contemplating My First Mini Metal Lathe Purchase

TonyL

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks: I am delighted to find this forum. I am looking forward to purchasing my first mini metal lathe. I am a penturner, but want to learn how to make small parts for pen turning as well as make pens out of metal. Basically, I just like making things.

I am looking at Sieg, Taig, and Sherline. I am thoroughly confused, but enjoying the learning process. I can't see my needs beyond drilling a depth more than 6 inches, cutting threads more than 3/4 inches around (in diameter) or using stock more than 1 inch in diameter or square. Anyway, any advice, recommendations, etc. are all welcome. I am sure that their are thousands of great, but differing opinions, and I will respect them all.

Thank you for reading.

Tony

Welcome to HM, Tony. I think any metal lathe is better than no metal lathe, and all the brands you listed will do what you want it to do. What will differentiate them are the work envelope, the available accessories, cost and drive features (variable speed vs belts) and other factors. For transparency, I'm a Sherline owner with the typical biases so keep that in mind.

When I contemplated my first lathe I knew that I was primarily going to make general stuff for my hobbies and stuff around the house. Being a city dweller, that meant a mini-lathe would suffice to see if I liked the hobby enough to stay with it. At the time, Taig was just getting started and Sherline was the best game in town. Most of the Asian lathes weren't copied from Emco yet so my choices were simpler. I ended up with a well-tooled long bed Sherline lathe and have never regretted that decision. You will hear that you should go for the biggest lathe you can afford and I agree ... except if you are only working on small precision parts. In that specific case, go for a smaller precision lathe. In my book, that would be a Sherline or Taig in the USA.

Between the Taig and Sherline, the key differences are the available accessories and the drives. Sherline lathes come with a very reliable variable speed DC motor, while Taig typically uses an AC motor or one of your choice that you must provide. The capacity of the long bed Sherline is greater than the Taig. I haven't owned a Taig so cannot attest to its accuracy but lots of nice work are done on those things so join one of the Taig groups and ask about it. The Sherline is VERY accurate and will do almost anything within its work envelope, and maybe beyond it. As for accessories, Sherline produces the largest choice of US made tooling for their machines and their stuff is very good quality; Taig is okay but nowhere near what Sherline offers.

As for the Asian lathes, Little Machine Shop carries almost anything you could possibly want, including the lathes. Look them over, ask about them here and you'll have many informed opinions. Nowadays, few others produce lathes at prices we can afford so you almost have to consider them. Don't forget that the Asian lathes are copies of the early Emco lathes made in Austria; you may find one in good shape on Craigslist in your area.

One other thing to look at is how many mods you have to do to the machine for it to perform well for you. The Asian lathes will usually require some tune up to function well or correct design flaws. Before buying, look around to see what has been done for the lathe you're considering. Sherline lathes will typically run well out of the box. I don't know about Taig.

This is not an easy decision, I know. The very best advice I can offer is to ask, ask, ask until you are very clear on what you need and what you can afford before you buy.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the welcome. As far as a budget about 2k., but I can go more or less. I just want benchtop. I am leaning toward the HighTorque 7 - 16. Then I read this and I am back looking at the Sherline. I spoke to both owners they seem like very nice guys and neither criticized the other. I was looking at a Precsion Matthews, but that name doesn't come up that frequently for some reason....maybe because it is larger. I am in no rush and still watching tons of videos. I may even take an adult education class. I need to read through many of the earlier post as well. Thanks again. This is really a neat place.

Tony, if a Precision Matthews may fit your needs then please look at them. They are much larger but far more capable than the mini-lathe class you're considering. If you visit the PM sub-forum here you will find that these machines are very highly regarded and that Matt, the owner, provides superb support. I own a Sherline and an Emco lathe but if I were to buy an Asian lathe today, it would be a PM from Matt.

Only you know how much space, money and time you can afford to spend on this hobby. Keep in mind that the accessories you need to run a machine tool can easily eclipse the cost of the machine itself. The costs for accessories will, in general, be commensurate with their size.

Your statement, "I can't see my needs beyond drilling a depth more than 6 inches, cutting threads more than 3/4 inches around (in diameter) or using stock more than 1 inch in diameter or square." would point to a mini-machine but you never know. If you have interests or hobbies aside from machining then your machines may be used to support those hobbies so really put some thought into the largest work you expect to do and buy your lathe accordingly.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the welcome. As far as a budget about 2k., but I can go more or less. I just want benchtop. I am leaning toward the HighTorque 7 - 16. Then I read this and I am back looking at the Sherline. I spoke to both owners they seem like very nice guys and neither criticized the other. I was looking at a Precsion Matthews, but that name doesn't come up that frequently for some reason....maybe because it is larger. I am in no rush and still watching tons of videos. I may even take an adult education class. I need to read through many of the earlier post as well. Thanks again. This is really a neat place.

+1 on giving Matt a call. He has a 10x22 that is in your budget and has a power cross feed. Check it out here: http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

I am saving my pennies for a larger lathe and will only purchase from Matt!

Wow, I like that PM 1030 lathe. With all the money I've spent modifying and upgrading my HF 7x10 I could have paid for the PM and had a much more capable machine.

From experience my opinion you should purchase more machine than you think you will need. The Sherline is a beautiful machine and the Sieg and Taig are very nice machines. Either will do the job you describe. If you are like me you will be doing many more projects than you originally envisioned. Then you will want more machine. If you have the discipline to stick with just making pens your choice of the smaller machines is fine. Of course space is something that comes into play too. I don't have the space in my overstuffed garage for full size machines so I went with a benchtop size lathe and mill.

Roy

where are the Precision Matthews made?

I thought about this post while trying to fall asleep last night and came to the conclusion that a larger lathe is really nice to have - I have a Sherline and an 11" lathe - but 80% of the work I do can be handled by the Sherline. It has been said ad nauseum that you can do small parts on a larger lathe but you cannot do big parts on a smaller one, mostly because its true. However, I suspect that this party line is spoken mostly by those who have not worked with a Sherline lathe.

Realistically, if you put the edge of the working envelope of a Sherline lathe at about 1-1/4", the diameter that will easily allow the cross slide to pass under, then you have to decide if the majority of your work will fall over or under that size before ruling the Sherline out. I say this because within its working envelope there is little that the Sherline cannot do that a larger lathe can, at lower cost and with great precision. My bigger lathe is still not big by the standards of this forum but it is a mid-size lathe made in Austria and made to what they billed as tool room standards. It is a very good machine but for small parts it is nowhere near as simple or accurate to use as the Sherline. Add to that the cost between a fully tooled Sherline lathe and a fully tooled mid-sized lathe and you begin to realize that for a hobby guy who isn't turning out a lot of parts a mini-lathe may not be a bad choice.

So, it comes down to how large a part Tony will need to make, budget, space and interests. It makes sense to me to start small and see if you like cutting metal. If you do like it and you find that you need a larger lathe then you will have learned enough by then to make a good choice. If not, then see your Psychiatrist.

Back