Corvair Ring and Pinion Gear Set

Okay.

Will have engine and transaxle (differential/transmission) this fall.

After getting familiar with it maybe something will come to mind.

I didn't know this, but it seems that running upside down is not only doable, it's a "thing".
The-Upside-Down-Van-Woodward-Dream-Cruise-2.jpg
18e6d8c424a094889fe78449547308f2.jpg
xupside-down-car-strange-looking-cars-in-the-world1-1548427164.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.aPmEVI3bos.jpg

'running upside down'

Just in case you want to do this too.It is turn the transaxle upside down so the axles now rotate in the correct direction.

Turning the whole car upside down will not move you closer to the goal.Probable further away.

'Manuals are here'

Thank you John O.

We will break down and get some manuals.Probably Haynes and Chilton 'all years' first. Then factory.

Last edited:
In 1981 I had a paper route as a kid. One of the neighborhood houses I peddled by had 3 corvairs in the driveway. They were in various states of repair and the owner was always out there working on one.

My first car was a '62 Corvair. I think I paid $325 for it, used. That would have been about 1968. I hate to say it here in a Corvair enthusiast thread, but it was a real POS. The engine, the body, the handling, everything about it. I do not remember any good things about it beyond that it got me away from my parents, when it was not apart in the garage... GM had many follies during those times. Very poor engineering. After that I had a '64 VW beetle. It had over 100K miles on it when I got it. Paid $400 for it. I drove it for at least a decade, and it was a wonderful car, simple design, easy to fix, cheap parts availability. A wonderful little car, that defined "simply elegant." Perfect for a penniless student...

was never a fan of the early models (except the vans). growing up, my father had a fleet: a couple of convertibles, a couple of hardtops and a van. all had their quirks; but ran reliably if properly maintained

Thank you for all the responses.

We are working on deal to have reverse ring and pinion sets made again.

It's definitely doable.Richmond Gear sounds like they can do it.

The rub is they closed up their manufacturing in South Carolina so sets will be made overseas.

I think a lot of Corvair enthusiasts would prefer sets that are Made In USA.

We would.

Let's see what happens.There is something funny we've seen about a pinion that has gear on other end.

Don't know if you need set AND this other pinion or what.

Be good idea to find out before having sets made. Don't want to assume the one set of ring and pinion is all you need.

Hope so though.

Back