Craftsman power hacksaw question

Can you post pic of part and in context. There must be a way to fabricate/replicate etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post pic of part and in context. There must be a way to fabricate/replicate etc.

Jeff

Well, got the bad news from Clausing. Part is no longer available, but they did send me a print. Quite a challenge to make. It has .050" ratchet teeth cut on a 6-13/16" radius, then case hardened. Maybe I'll get ambitious over the winter and try to make one.

That's what of the things I like about Clausing, if they don't have it, they'll give a print so you can make it.

Terry

Grandtools, sorry to hear you were not able to get what you wanted, but glad to hear you got the prints.

Good luck on the saw.

Paul

That part you could not get is one of the frequently well worn parts that needs replaced too unfortunately.

Well, got the bad news from Clausing. Part is no longer available, but they did send me a print. Quite a challenge to make. It has .050" ratchet teeth cut on a 6-13/16" radius, then case hardened. Maybe I'll get ambitious over the winter and try to make one.

I've got one with a ratchet that I haven't been able to get to work. I wonder if an India dressing hone would sharpen it up.

I've got one with a ratchet that I haven't been able to get to work. I wonder if an India dressing hone would sharpen it up.

Did you try sharpening the two fingers that engage the ratchet block? They often get worn and won't engage. You could also uses a stone on the ratchet block, or even a fine tooth file. I dressed mine up with a file to take some burrs off.

+1 with Grandtools. I haven't address mine yet, but this seems like the best approach.

Did you try sharpening the two fingers that engage the ratchet block? They often get worn and won't engage. You could also uses a stone on the ratchet block, or even a fine tooth file. I dressed mine up with a file to take some burrs off.

Oh yes. I think those were considered "expendables." I got some from Searspartsdirect before everything there became unavailable or prohibitively expensive. My Craftsman power hacksaw is functional but really a terrible disgrace to look at; dirty, broken and brazed-back-together bits. I'm making a suitably wood-butchered mobile base for it, so it can live under my Atlas 10" lathe of awfulness. I mean awesomeness. Probably ought to do a separate post so you can learn from my mistakes.

Oh yes. I think those were considered "expendables." I got some from Searspartsdirect before everything there became unavailable or prohibitively expensive. My Craftsman power hacksaw is functional but really a terrible disgrace to look at; dirty, broken and brazed-back-together bits. I'm making a suitably wood-butchered mobile base for it, so it can live under my Atlas 10" lathe of awfulness. I mean awesomeness. Probably ought to do a separate post so you can learn from my mistakes.

And they wonder why Sears is fading away, there's a good example. Sears used to give good service & reasonable prices. Now they just gouge you any chance they can. I used to love going to Sears, now it's my last choice for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff

Here are 2 pics of the part

028.JPG 029.JPG

Back