Cunliffe Horizontal Milling Machine

WoW!!!
I'm sorry to hear of the trouble, but i'm glad you were not hurt.

if the motor proves too difficult to get to, there are other methods of testing the motor.

after finishing making your wiring repairs and getting a new fuse, i would be tempted to try to fire the mill up again.
here's why,
we already know that the mill ran on low speed without issue, so we know half of the windings are good.
we know that it tried to start, grudgingly, from 0 in the high speed position, the windings could be impaired but the more that i think about it, if there was an open winding the motor would really sound terrible with a loud buzzing and then it would kick the 50 amp breaker. if there was a shorted winding it would definitely kick the 50a breaker.

i'm kind of a gambler when it comes to starting stuff i'm working on.
after safety checks are made, i figure it will either work or it won't .
sometimes sparks fly and the repair process begins , most times it narrows down what doesn't work.
i don't want you to step too far out of your comfort zone, but, i'd finish up the repairs and plug her back in and hit the high speed switch after the first speed is up to speed,
just be ready to hit the stop button and/or unplug the mill in case you need to shut it down.

if you wish to OHM test the motor first we could always walk that road first.

Last edited:
Hello Mike,

I think that I will have plenty of time to work on the motor in the next few weeks, as I'm sure that it will be at least that long before I recieve my fuses. Also, my work will have pretty much dried up after the next week, so I'll have time to spend in the shop.

I'm also thinking the same thing about starting up the motor in the way that you described. I searched all through the manual and didn't find anything about this method, but it makes sense to me. Oh, the other thing that I noticed about the main motor tag is that it is an induction motor, if that means anything to you.

I'd better get myself off to work...

Brian :)

Good Morning , Brian
i'm here to help out, in anyway i can
LMK what you need, and i'll do my very best to help get the beautiful beast making chips again!!!
on the surface of things i really don't get the impression or feel like you have major issues at this point.
i'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

mike:))

Hello Mike :)

Thanks for all of your help with my mill. This site is just great where all of the different strengths and occupations can come together and help one another.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Hello all,

I'm back with a small update... I recieved the new fuses and everything is as it was before I burnt the 50 amp fuse.

I'm thinking that it might be better if I started a new thread in the "Electrical" forum for this mill.

I'll go do that...

nice to hear that you got the fuses.
what's the next move?

This little gem arrived on my doorstep today...

IMGP0005800x600_zpseed7fc00.jpg

IMGP0004800x600_zps1187d163.jpg

It's the same sized arbor that came with the mill (that one is bent like a hockey stick :yikes:)

This one was from Ebay and is in real good shape. Other than a little coolant staining, it looks almost brand new. I hope that it spins as good as it looks... The gear cutter came with it...

Brian,

Nice universal mill! Can you explain your Low Speed and High Speed terminology? Low speed 4-hp, high speed 8-hp. Do you have two separate motors? If not, how is the difference in hp being done?

I'd love to help with the electrics; but sorry to say I can connect the color coded wires but that's about it.

Hey Reeltor

I am not an electrical expert, but have some experience, and a similar setup in my Hardinge Mill. I don't know if this Cunliffe is the same as my Hardinge, but there is a big lever switch on the side of my machine that cuts the speed AND HP in half. So 3/4 HP at full speed, and 3/8 HP at half-speed.

I hope this helps

Bernie

Back