[4]

Winner Custom Stock Rest

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
I finally had enough of the free standing floor stock rest for my cut-off saw. So I decided on making a custom rest that attached to my tool box light post. I think it turned out pretty well, I like it.

Stock Rest - 03.JPG
Stock Rest - 04.JPG
Stock Rest - 05.JPG
Stock Rest - 06.JPG
Stock Rest - 07.JPG
Stock Rest - 08.JPG
Stock Rest - 09.JPG
Stock Rest - 10.JPG
Stock Rest - 11.JPG
Stock Rest - 12.JPG

John_Vreede

Registered
It tucks in well above the extenda-reel so will clean up that area and always be ready to use without being in the way when its not needed. I like it.
If thats a 1989 bandsaw you've done a remarkable job restoring it and looks like many nice touches upgrading it too. Have you ever done an piece on it. I'd really like to see that! - jv

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That is an excellent idea. Nice looking piece as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Congratulations Randy. Neat project!

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Great Idea, work great for small shops where ever inch counts and the fact the you do not have to find a place to store it when not in use. Or try to dig it out when you need it.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Randy,
Nice job! looks like plenty of thought went into your design. One suggestion for anyone wanting to copy this or any other roller design is to extend the roller support ears past the hight of the roller. This would prevent stock from rolling off.

Roller/stands are so handy to have in one man shop. I made these some time last year and have used them on the mill, iron worker and to support long pieces that extend past the welding table.

My hats off to you on your ability to work with aluminum. I really like what you did, very nice work sir.
20150822_143454.jpg
IMG_1259.JPG

RandyM

Staff member
Do you have a link?
Yup, Here ye go.

Bandsaw Resto

Randy,
Nice job! looks like plenty of thought went into your design. One suggestion for anyone wanting to copy this or any other roller design is to extend the roller support ears past the hight of the roller. This would prevent stock from rolling off.

Roller/stands are so handy to have in one man shop. I made these some time last year and have used them on the mill, iron worker and to support long pieces that extend past the welding table.

My hats off to you on your ability to work with aluminum. I really like what you did, very nice work sir.
View attachment 127890 View attachment 127892
Yeah, actually I did think about doing that and decided against it. My reason is my roller is only 6 inches and I felt that if I ever had stock that I wanted to over hang it I couldn't.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yup, Here ye go.

Bandsaw Resto

Yeah, actually I did think about doing that and decided against it. My reason is my roller is only 6 inches and I felt that if I ever had stock that I wanted to over hang it I couldn't.
That makes total sense.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Congratulations on POTM. nice project and useful.

USNFC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very nice Randy. Super functional, compact, and it looks great! (Nice Snap On box too!)

RandyM

Staff member
Thank you everyone for the accolades, it is greatly appreciated.

Atlascycle

Registered
would you mind posting photos of the Light post its self?

Thanks,

Jason

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
what if you move your toolbox?

RandyM

Staff member
what if you move your toolbox?
You mean for the need of a stock rest? I do have separate floor standing stock rests. If the move is permanent, I will have to rethink my plan. I am however, really liking my layout right now.

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
my big snap on box hasn't moved for 20 years...except for the one time it tipped over by itself...watching tv one day hear a big bang..looked outside..nutin...a few days later..toooools everywhere....cabled to the wall since

tackit

Registered
Nice aluminum work and design Randy, it looks great. I agree with your thoughts on being able to use the stand for wider work, we just never know.:)

tinman

Registered
Nice looking work.I am still looking for any members int he Cape Coral, Fl area to hook up with, no luck so far. If any one knows a member have him get in touch with me.My passion is the restoration of some of the old jewels like Rivett, Logan,SB and others.
Regards, George

strantor

Active User
Registered
@RandyM your shop is disgustingly clean. I'd be afraid to do any work in there for fear of getting something dirty.
You'd probably be afraid to enter my shop at all.

RandyM

Staff member
@RandyM your shop is disgustingly clean. I'd be afraid to do any work in there for fear of getting something dirty.
You'd probably be afraid to enter my shop at all.
Yeah, I have that effect on people. Trust me, it does get dirty. The key is to pick and clean up after every project, sometimes in the middle if it is a large ongoing one. The good news for you is, you to can have an organized shop, ya just have to want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]