Cutting Thick Sheet Metal

There is a shear called a Beverly shear that is essentially a bench mounted version of a pair of tin snips. It will cut heavier heet metal with ease and can cut curves as well as straight. As with all shears, there will be a slight deformity at the edge but if the shear is well adjusted, the deformity isn't too bad.

Used for cutting metal roofing and sheet aluminum up to 1/8" in straight lines or mild curves. Did it for years using standard plywood blades run backwards before carbide was in common use back in the day. I believe the new metal specific saws run at a lower rpm. Like most things, there is a learning curve associated with getting good results. Mike
What size stock you cutting and is it strait lines? For smaller stuff that gauge Ill flip it vertical up against a piece of wood and cut it on the bandsaw.

I have a metal cutting bandsaw that works great on aluminum of all thicknesses and thicker steel. I also have a table saw set to cut aluminum. When I cut stainless between 20 and 14 gauge I invariably rip teeth off the blade and ruin it. I am using a Lenox Dimaster II at 14 tpi. I have tried multiple speeds.
I would like to be able to make square cuts in material up to 12". I am thinking about a stomp shear although many are rated for only 16 gauge mild steel. That bench shear that Brino showed my be good although a little short. I would be afraid to go after sheet metal like this with a circular saw, no? I like the Kett shears also.
Thanks Guys!

I'm not sure what gauge they used for my garage beam, but I ripped the entire length with the metal circular saw. For the short runs you need to use the guide because you cannot see the blade, and the line.

I also have a 36" stomp shear rated to 16g. It works really good for thin gauges 18 and up.16g full width you need a 400lb gorilla to jump on it. 12" wouldn't be a problem. Now if it has air cylinders hooked to the step it might be more powerful.

+1 on the plate shear (brino) for straight cuts. Got one and like using it. +1 on the Beverly shear (RJ) for curved cuts. Plan to get one soon.

Last edited:
I did a job with an old school grandpa type he drilled a hole through the front of a machete, mounted it on a wood frame with an angle bracket, and cut roofing iron to size with it. I remember being amazed at how little effort it took.

I usually use my jig saw, sometimes with a piece of hard board as a guide. Quick pass on the belt sander and looks good enough.

Great information guys! I think I will order the plate shear. I will make an infeed table for it to facilitate clamping. I will come back and post some pics and results!
Robert

Here's my infeed clamp/stock support for a "pick it up and use it on a table" shear:
kHPIM5980.jpg

... and here's an even nicer one for a bench mounted shear, created by a friend in Phoenix:
2014-11-27 13.50.18_std.jpg

Back