Damaged Scroll Plate, Fix It Or Scrap It?

great white

Active User
Registered
I've got a 3 jaw chuck that came with my atlas in a box of parts. I'm not sure what make it is, I can't find any other identifying marks other that a "6" a "BE" and a "19" in the edge of the chuck body:

image.jpg

I know a 3 jaw isn't the most accurate and this being and old one is probably even worse than most, but there are times when just chucking up a piece of stock and turning it in a 3 jaw would be just fine for some of the work I do.

I currently use a 10" four jaw that came with the atlas and I've got a new (Chinese) 7" four jaw that needs a backing plate.

The 3 jaw has been threaded to spin right on to the spindle and it's got a set of inside and outside jaws.

But someone has broken the scroll plate somehow. I can't even imagine how it was done:

image.jpg

So question is can the plate be fixed?

Does the plate have to be replaced?

Or am I better just chucking the whole thing in the trash?

I'd rather not throw it away if I can fix it, I hate throwing away "fixable" things.

I'll probably turn it into a door stop or something if it's scrap.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like it has seen some very hard use/abuse. If you do get it functional again, chance are good that you will be dissatisfied with it's accuracy. If it were me, I would toss it.

I would consider it not repairable. Certainly not in my case. It would require brazing/screwing (or both) new (blank) cast iron pieces then machining them to fit. probably not do-able without CNC, even then accuracy would be questionable. On the other hand, if I had CNC, I would try it as a challenge.

Turn the back end of the chuck into a back plate for a new chuck.

You don't say what size the chuck is, but measure up one of the jaws and post. Some of us might be interested in buying the jaws from you. Just a thought.

Probably a production chuck that has ran so many cycles that it would make a good door stop. I would degrease it and then paint the insides with a good primer. If the backplate is still good for your new chuck I would try to modify it/

The chuck is a single pinion, which leads to being a Buck Adjuster-True chuck. Also, the cap screw arrangement looks to be that. I suspect someone, Buba, tighten the crap out of the chuck so many times the body is sprung. Wont hold a part worth a crap. And Buba took a big hammer beat on the part to get it running true, which broke out the scroll, or Buba tried to part off something and the blade hung up and wrecked!

6 " chuck.

I'll keep the back plate handy in case I ever run across another 6" at a decent price.

Won't fit my 4 jaw 7" chuck.

The rest will make for an interesting door stop. I've been needing one anyways to hold the door open when I'm letting smoke or fumes blow out of the garage....

We had a old 16" 4-jaw chuck that was worn beyond belief that was going to be used for a mailbox post base. Had a time where the high school kids were running over the mail boxes in the neighborhood many years ago. We never did it. Just buried a 6" creosote post about 6 foot deep in the ground. Problem solved!

Back