Damaged Scroll Plate, Fix It Or Scrap It?

We had a old 16" 4-jaw chuck that was worn beyond belief that was going to be used for a mailbox post base. Had a time where the high school kids were running over the mail boxes in the neighborhood many years ago. We never did it. Just buried a 6" creosote post about 6 foot deep in the ground. Problem solved!
I change my mailbox post to 4" pipe. They don't snap that one off. Since I made that "improvement, I haven't had any incidents. If they ever decide to take a baseball bat to the box, I will make a new box from 1/8" plate.

IMHO it is NOT repairable. Get rid if it so you no longer have that notion in your head. It will never be right again no matter what you do.

"Billy G"

Doorstop sounds like a good idea.

I sprung (sprang? destroyed?) the scroll on my Smithy Granite's 3-jaw chuck by really cranking down on a part. Just one spot, tweaked the scroll so it was visible deformed. Afterwards it would only run to about 0.015" TIR when holding a part. Replaced it with a much more affordable replacement from Grizzly.

In comparison, the scroll on the chuck from Grizzly was MUCH deeper and thicker than that on the Smithy supplied chuck. The surface quality of the scroll was also much better.

We had a old 16" 4-jaw chuck that was worn beyond belief that was going to be used for a mailbox post base. Had a time where the high school kids were running over the mail boxes in the neighborhood many years ago. We never did it. Just buried a 6" creosote post about 6 foot deep in the ground. Problem solved!
I just had to add that there was a guy in the next neighborhood over where I grew up who got tired of the high school kids running over his mailbox. Suburban area, but his lot, without a curb like most every other lot in the area, was somehow very attractive to dumb kids.

So one day he got up before the sun (when there's no chance of being seen by high school kids) and buried an I-beam just as well as you did. Covered it up to look like a "disposable" wood post. It didn't take long before the kid wrapped the front of his car around it. He had to replace the mailbox once more, but not the post, and the kid not only totaled his car but ended up in all sorts of trouble as well.

Buba, tighten the crap out of the chuck so many times the body is sprung.... And Buba took a big hammer beat on the part to get it running true..... Buba tried to part off something and the blade hung up and wrecked!

I sure hope that Buba doesn't read this and come lookin for his defamers!

Daryl
MN

I know heavy/highway carpenters that got tired of replacing plastic traffic barrels in the morning. Someone would come through at night and several to knock them out of the lanes. They filled one with left over concrete one day and found pieces of headlight the next day and never had the problem again.

Back