Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

As for the chuck
What size is it
Does it sit square and flush to the spindle.
Tou say it rattles. Is the chuck rattle or causing the machine to rattle

Is it a scroll type 4 jaw or Independent.

Did you spin the chuck with out tightening down the jaws to the center ?

Did you tear down and clean out the 4 jaw chuck. When I finally tore into my chuck there was a crazy amount of chips/Swarf and gunk in it. The screws hold the back plate on where loose as where the key way retainers.
There was plenty of gunk sitting in the edge where the retainer sits. Could not be good. Since I have been going through this 1990s smithy 1220 im slowly starting to need better resolution when checking stuff than .001” indicators.
Its nice to see how things have been improving after cleaning/inspecting/adjusting and learning.
Just takes time

Here is my chuck after a quick clean up before the deep cleaning. The amount of crud and chips that came out was crazy.
I cant even imagine what a lathe that old and working that long could be like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like the 4 jaw is not sitting “square” with your spindle.
Cutters with larger radius can produce a better surface finish. Think of it as a putty knife. Try making a flat surface with a 1” putty knife vs 6” blade.
Another way to think of it. That round cutter is acting like a plow, flattening any ridges
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the chuck is on correctly. It went on real.smooth. and nice. I also double checked it. If it's not that is there another issue?
Do they ever need balancing ? Like adding weight to one.side or the other?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the chuck is on correctly. It went on real.smooth. and nice. I also double checked it. If it's not that is there another issue?
Do they ever need balancing ? Like adding weight to one.side or the other?
Any chance theres something internally messed up?

Back