Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

It’s not just a nut. It will have a flat that bears on the underside of the way and probably another flat that bears on some feature inside the apron to keep it level. I attached a pic for reference, but I’m not sure the part number is accurate for your lathe. I just picked one of the 12” Craftsman manuals from the downloads section.

You could probably make one from a piece of say 1/4” thick bar cut to the proper dimensions and drilled and tapped to match the bolt. Hopefully someone with one of these lathes can give you some better specs. You may be able to find one on eBay as well.

I saw mrpetes video on the south bend book.. i also recently purchased the craftsman book that came with these lathes. The you tube videos make it all look so simple lol..
One final piece I need to complete my refurbishing of this piece is a way to lock the carriage. Pic below shows i the nut but it's just loose in the hole. Would it be just a nut?? Does it just lock onto the ways?? I don't want to damage the ways by just adding any nut. Any idea what should gom. There to lock the carriage?

Thanks

Thanks
Ken
Ah yes , the whats next , what now stage of some New To You Old Tool.
Been going through that also.
My first items made on the lathe where to fix the lathe.
Today I did a non lathe repair project. The handle went missing on my seal/race driver so today I made one.
I need to figure out what thread to use , drill and tap and cut the small diameter to correct length.

8EECCE3A-A548-4864-ADF0-1F205F31EB06.jpeg9EE27133-C6AC-4391-862A-77A189D35B5D.jpeg

Not sure if this is what you need

Thanks. I have the screw , I need the washer. I. Thinking of buying Mr Pete's course he talks about in this video. He send a flash drive to watch anytime. Basically no Internet.

I've been saving his videos. I saw this video. I dont recall what the but looked like. Were u the person that found the tailstock bracket for me?? Either way. The same guy had the little pin that is used foe indexing... mine lathe was missing that as well. So I picked it up for 22 bucks. Seems like folks charge a ton of cash for parts. Its almost like a conspiracy ... it be better if the community sd things cheaper. Lol..mine alao. It came wita steady rest but one of the brass ' holders" is missing. Would know we're I could that??.lol. That same guy definitely didn't have any. Lol. I alsos have a 1 hp motor. It has 1/3 now. Would it be better with a stronger motor ??
Could I use another nut or is that a special shape? My glasses sre in the car.

thanks again. The he'll with Mr Peter , MR MAC191 is hooking the newbie up. Thanks
Ken
Not sure if this is what you need
It looks like it. Its 25 bucks. Inhabe the screw. Could I use another washer or nut? Or is thst a certain shape ? My.glasses are in the car...

Ah yes , the whats next , what now stage of some New To You Old Tool.
Been going through that also.
My first items made on the lathe where to fix the lathe.
Today I did a non lathe repair project. The handle went missing on my seal/race driver so today I made one.
I need to figure out what thread to use , drill and tap and cut the small diameter to correct length.

View attachment 431598View attachment 431599
What is this?

I remeb
Mrpete is going to be your favorite

Go to min 9
I
I recall that part of the video now. He says it can.be remade but we'll see. I have this thing thst I want all original parts for now.

Next I'll be asking about change gears. People are making them on ebay. Do you know if they are any good?? Once I know what gears do what may buy a few.. not there yet.. sorry I asked you a ton of Questions all over the place.

I see it. I bought a
It’s not just a nut. It will have a flat that bears on the underside of the way and probably another flat that bears on some feature inside the apron to keep it level. I attached a pic for reference, but I’m not sure the part number is accurate for your lathe. I just picked one of the 12” Craftsman manuals from the downloads section.

You could probably make one from a piece of say 1/4” thick bar cut to the proper dimensions and drilled and tapped to match the bolt. Hopefully someone with one of these lathes can give you some better specs. You may be able to find one on eBay as well.
I bought a manual from ebay ... I didn't know I could get it here. A guy makes them for many old craftsman tools. He does a good job. It a a 200 plus page book that is ringed. It very close to the original books. But I just watched the tail stock part of Mr pete and missing the quil lock for the tail stock. I just have the screw. Hahah. I hope that's it. So I'll be checking that site for that as well. Haha. These little things add up lol. But I paid 400 for mine delivered to my house with a decent older craftsman motor. Should i upgrade the 1/3hp to the 1hp craftsman motor?. Mine doesn't go in reverse either , another issue i ill address as time passes When the switch goes to Rev. It just moves forward. So there're several bugs I need to work out. But I'm happy I have it. overall its a decent unit. I also want to replace some gears in the apron, compound , half nut ect. It's 80plus years It had a decent amount of use. a update would make it run better and add value. Not sure what they are worth but 400 won't get a 7x12 chineese HABOR FREIGHT unit. So I think I got a fair deal all things considered.
Here a pic of my beauty.. if u haven't seen her. Thanks again

Attachments

• 20221212_201143.jpg
    20221212_201143.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 6
I see it. I bought a

I bought a manual from ebay ... I didn't know I could get it here. A guy makes them for many old craftsman tools. He does a good job. It a a 200 plus page book that is ringed. It very close to the original books. But I just watched the tail stock part of Mr pete and missing the quil lock for the tail stock. I just have the screw. Hahah. I hope that's it. So I'll be checking that site for that as well. Haha. These little things add up lol. But I paid 400 for mine delivered to my house with a decent older craftsman motor. Should i upgrade the 1/3hp to the 1hp craftsman motor?. Mine doesn't go in reverse either , another issue i ill address as time passes When the switch goes to Rev. It just moves forward. So there're several bugs I need to work out. But I'm happy I have it. overall its a decent unit. I also want to replace some gears in the apron, compound , half nut ect. It's 80plus years It had a decent amount of use. a update would make it run better and add value. Not sure what they are worth but 400 won't get a 7x12 chineese HABOR FREIGHT unit. So I think I got a fair deal all things considered.
Here a pic of my beauty.. if u haven't seen her. Thanks again
There are sellers here but many are probably on ebay. Like most things theres not a lot of people looking for parts for 80 year old lathes.
Then theres the “oh you need xyz, i got one”

Just keep scanning ebay, facebook market place and Craig's list and any local for sale sources.

I have been picking up older but still functional measuring tools

If you have time to travel I have seen some good deals but to far for me to travel .

If your looking to restore with original parts just be patient.
If your looking to get it up and running and use it , do what ever you can , buy it , trade it , make it

As for a larger motor ? It might not be needed.

Now your reverse. Some older motors you have to shut off and wait for any motor movement to stop or it will just keep going in the same direction.

Pretty sure Mrpete covers that also.
Happy New Year

Yes I have been binge watching Mrpete

Back