Decent 6" rotary table. vertex?

ar.knives

Registered
Registered
hey guys, new here. got a hand full of years operating a milling macine and lathe but just ordered my own mill for home use.

searching on the fourm, i found OLD post that say the 6" VERTEX rotary table is reccommed as the go to affordable table. does this still stand?

also, a couple differnt ones pop up on amazon, look differnt and have different pics an prices. anyone have the link to the prefered one?

thanks.

I have a Vertex 6" rotary table and tailstock. I have had no issues.
Martin

I upgraded from a Phase II (China) to a Vertex (Taiwan). Huge difference. I have the 8” Vertex on my RF-45 and PM-935 (knee mill) and wouldn’t want anything smaller. Great rotary table. At the 8” size they come in three or four T-slot versions.

+1 on a 6" Vertex Rotary Index. Mine's been great. My mill can't fit a larger one, if I still want space to machine.

Happy with my 6" Vertex, but as #Winegrower mentioned, 6" somtimes is just to small,but I used mine this week and it was perfect for what I wanted to do. If an 8" can fit your mill and you have the budget,get it. I got mine basically brand new at the junk yard,for the life of me I don't know WHY someone would throw this away. I got that,a BS-1 dividing head with tailstock and universal gears and two 10" Fuerda 3jaw chucks on the same day at scrap prices. It was a question of perfect timing to be there. My best find ever.

6” is too small for many projects. It’s not really that the parts you want to make are too big, it’s that the hold down and clamping takes a lot more room than we anticipate.
plan on having nothing longer then 4 1/2" on it. and the plan was to bolt a plate to the rotary table and drill holes in that plate for fixtures.

+1 on a 6" Vertex Rotary Index. Mine's been great. My mill can't fit a larger one, if I still want space to machine.
do you happen to know which one? severy different 6" ones pop on on amazon. just want to make sure i get the known one.

I rebuilt an 8" Kamakura with German bearings. The design is good and the parts are true. It has spoiled me with smooth movement and minimal backlash. It's horizontal mount only, so vertical work is done with the China BS-0 if possible. It is difficult to do numerous basic operations on the mill without a rotary table. For the possibilities it opens, even a junky Phase II clone is worth it. I'd love to get a bigger one, but weight goes exponential as RTs go up in size. You might even need a jib crane if you find a too-good deal on a big Troika or something like that.

So, is an 8" rotary table the correct size for a PM-25 mill? Or, is 6" the correct size? I would like to get one for my mill in the future.

Back