Deckel knock-off tool grinding

NC Rick, Look @ Stefan's video about these machines. He shows a puller he made.
I was just looking @ Shars catalog, They now list an endmill sharpener, a bit more $.
I've got to get a couple more abrasive wheels.

I’ve heard some mention a puller but they seem to think everyone got one or made one.
You will need to make one. It's basically a threaded rod.

The correct part number for the Shars hub is in their catalog in the main listing for the grinder. I bought a few extra. They were having stock issues for awhile on those, but that was last year.

Thanks for that head up Rick. The Shars website seems to be getting better to navigate. But I swear that smaller hub was not on their site before. Now I just need to find the time to pull the hub on mine to confirm it’s the right one.

Has anybody pulled the hub before? I’ve heard some mention a puller but they seem to think everyone got one or made one. I would just like to swap between my stone and diamond wheels without having to rebalance.
I pulled mine with a little puller bolt, after watching S.G. do it on YouTube I figured it was worth a try. It was no problem at all.

Here's the puller that I made. I just measured the thread and prototyped on the fly (totally winging it). It's really just a fancy bolt. The flats are for a wrench, to break it loose, then I can speed it the rest of the way without any interfering handles. I can't remember if it's mystery stainless or W1 tool steel, but it's one of those.
IMAG0943.jpg

A new Stefan G video on the tool grinder. "Indexable parting blade and dbit grinding" Oct 24, 2020
This is a better video with close ups of setting all the various angles. It includes how to go negative, past zero and still have the use of the degree scale. Rotate the scale to the opposite stop & lock, pull the spring loaded sleeve and move the arm to the desired negative location. Very simple once shown. He was grinding a small 15* dovetail cutter. He started with a broken carbide tool and did the split down the middle grind. On one of the Tool and Die Guy videos he recommended just buying already split blanks and saving your diamond wheel.

Learn a little more every day at the YouTube U.

@Larry$, that reminds me of another "mod" that I did- I set the scales to +5 degrees, and used a punch to make a dimple at the zero mark. Now I have a point of reference for -5 degrees. You can continue as far as needed, but I just wanted to be able to eyeball 5 to 7 degrees over center. Comes in really handy.

I'm paying attention, I just ordered the Shars kit :). End mills, lathe tools, drill bits and anything else I can come up with. After watching Stephan's adventures, I decided to go for it.
I talked myself out of it on October 28th, according to my post.
I feel good about the decision. I hope the quality is ok.

Back