Degreaser help needed it burns

All we had was apple cider vinegar and that just made it burn it was in my gloves for about an hour before I noticed the pain I will just have to deal with it but all I’m going to be doing tomorrow is typing at school and pushing buttons make my fingers hurt so guess I will just deal with it.
Yes you have to give the burn time to heal The degreaser dissolved some skin tissue but you have washed the POR15 off and stopped the destruction. Now it needs time to heal. Your game now is to prevent infection, not try to chemically neutralize something that is long gone.

Last edited:
Potassium hydroxide is an inorganic compound with the formula KOH, and is commonly called caustic potash . I had to look that up. Similar to Lye, very strong base, takes the oil out of you skin and makes a sort of soap. I suspect at this point you need to grow new skin!

Use greased lightening, 26 bucks for 5 gallons.

Melts grease like crazy and no odors or irritation.

Reminds me I am out...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

does any one have an idea about how long the pain would last just wondering if it lasts for a few days or a few weeks.

Potassium hydroxide is one of the ingredients. Potassium hydroxide dissolves flesh and bone. The butyl cellosolve is a gel and its purpose is to keep the caustic in contact with the surface. This stuff is close in formulation to oven cleaner. First aid consists of an immediate copious flushing with water followed by application of a weak acid to neutralize the caustic. Baking soda actually slightly alkaline and of no significant use in neutralizing caustic. A better choice is a weak vinegar solution or citric acid in the form of lemon juice.

Potassium hydroxide's action on flesh is almost immediate and it is difficult to remove as evidenced by the slimy sensation that won't wash off you get on skin when you come in contact. The finger nails are problematic as the caustic works in around the nail and is difficult to flush properly. You may have to soak your finger tips in the acid solution for some time to allow penetration under the nails.

You have already done tissue and nerve damage and the pain is nature's way of telling you that you screwed up. It will eventually subside.

Potassium hydroxide is one of the ingredients. Potassium hydroxide dissolves flesh and bone. The butyl cellosolve is a gel and its purpose is to keep the caustic in contact with the surface. This stuff is close in formulation to oven cleaner. First aid consists of an immediate copious flushing with water followed by application of a weak acid to neutralize the caustic. Baking soda actually slightly alkaline and of no significant use in neutralizing caustic. A better choice is a weak vinegar solution or citric acid in the form of lemon juice.

Potassium hydroxide's action on flesh is almost immediate and it is difficult to remove as evidenced by the slimy sensation that won't wash off you get on skin when you come in contact. The finger nails are problematic as the caustic works in around the nail and is difficult to flush properly. You may have to soak your finger tips in the acid solution for some time to allow penetration under the nails.

You have already done tissue and nerve damage and the pain is nature's way of telling you that you screwed up. It will eventually subside.
ok i already can tell that i screwed up and the pain is a constant reminder.:big grin:

I installed all the ceramic tiles in my house and suffered a similar issue. I was not aware that he grout would burn skin, I did not wear gloves. My fingers were ulcerated and very pain full for a week or so I could not button my shirt. Im sure the grout is not as aggressive as the degreaser but I was in it for a while. Hope you get better soon

Unfortunately in my experience burns are more painful and the pain lasts longer than other types of wounds.
Not weeks maybe but days for sure. Have you looked up first aid and treatment for burns?

Unfortunately in my experience burns are more painful and the pain lasts longer than other types of wounds.
Not weeks maybe but days for sure. Have you looked up first aid and treatment for burns?
yea but there is nothing i can do now

All correct above Def not hydrochloric acid, I'd try the iced water with plain white vinegar about 50/50 the vinegar might sting a bit, but it wont harm your skin. I'd also see a doctor and the sooner the better. I had a similar incident many years ago I was on a ship at sea and could not get to a doctor, it took the skin off my hands and took months to heal.

Read the MDSS for the product. That stuff will take your flesh right off down to the bone.

Back