Digital Calipers that don't eat batteries

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I want to mount a digital caliper to the tail stock of my lathe to make it easy to zero and measure depth when drilling. So I would like to purchase an economical digital caliper, Mitutoyo seems overkill, but I absolutely don't want one that requires a new battery all the time (the battery in my Mitutoyo's seems to last forever) and all the cheapo calipers I have are basically useless because the battery is dead every other time you go to use them.

Suggestions?

Hit and miss. I've got some no name verniers that last at least a year, if not more.

Another option might be to "break in to" the caliper where the battery goes and solder in the leads from an appropriate voltage wall adapter (might be hard to find a 1.5v adapter though).

As long as the house has power, so will the vernier....

The Mitutoyo digimatic that came with my mill quill DRO (Oct 21)has been left on for days several times, and is still on the first battery. I'm sure I just cursed myself....

From what I find via google, the vast majority of made in China calipers eat batteries about 10-20x faster than the Mitutoyo, so I ordered what must be a clone Digimatic ($46 CDN free shipping) and will use that, I have another clone and the batteries seem to last about a year even with the LR44 batteries, time will tell.

Be careful with "great deals" on Mitutoyo calipers. They are the only brand I buy. Every other brand, including the so-called "long battery life" Aventor from Shars simply do not compare - not only on battery life, but quality of materials and construction. Watch this video:

I used Mitutoyo solar powered calipers.

Igaging seems to last a long time, I have their Absolute calipers and the battery usually lasts 1-2 years, I also used one of their remote reading ones on my tailstock and batteries lasted about 4-6 months.

Lathe DRO Tailstock.jpg

Back