Disappointed in abilities with 12" Logan

I'm very frustrated, somewhat with my machine but mostly with me. The short version is I need a steady rest but cant find one.

My 2537 12" turret lathe has been making chips for a while now. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a machinist, but I have been able to make what I have needed so for. All of my projects have been small. I've made bushings and and a few odd parts here and there. This is just me in my shop at home for fun.
But I have a big project to work on for myself. I have been planning on making a few suppressors for my rifles. I've got all the legalities covered and all is on the up and up.

The issue is I have some 4140 round bar about 14" long to make the baffles out of. Baffles will be 60* cones to fit inside a 1.5"ID tube. The best, as I understand it, way to make them is chuck the bar up, and use a steady rest to support it while I work a baffle at a time on the far end. So that means I need a steady which didn't come with the lathe.

Necessity is a mother, so I make a steady.........The first version was a hexagon shape about 10" diameter. I'm sure you can already see the problem. I made it from .5x.750" bar stock, welded, threaded 120* apart. It looked good, but when I put it on and turned the machine by hand, there was so much flex in the fingers I was afraid to even turn the machine on. So back to the drawing board.

The second steady was made from wood. I used 3 layers of 3/4" birch glued and screwed together. I had a 4" hole in the center and again fingers at 120* apart. The fingers were 1/2-13 bolts which I turned and tipped with brass. Unfortunatly there is too much movement in the wood itself I guess. As I start to take light cuts on the surface, it works loose and starts flexing. I have been watching Ebay and can't find a Logan Steady rest and dont know if anything else will fit.

I'm really disappointed in my self and in the project so far. So much so I had to just leave the shop. As bad as it sounds I am considering selling the Logan and getting a new import lathe that comes with a steady and tail stock, which I also don't have and would like to have. Right now my project is stopped and I can't do anything about it.

I just wanted to try to share the weight on my shoulders, confession being good for the soul and all, and share my tale of woe.

I think you just want to make parts and you can make them without a steady. One way would be to saw your stock to SHORT pieces and machine them in a collet or a chuck. All you are doing with a steady is supporting the stock while you are cutting it. If you make the parts using a collet or chuck you don’t need a steady. One way is to cut the stocks little longer then needed and hold on excess length to machine it. Another way is to saw stock a little longer than two parts and hold on one part while you machine the other then saw or cut off when finished. It all comes down to the shape of the part. If you post a pic of part you are trying to make I am sure one of us old guys can tell you how to do it without a steady. And if you post a pic of the steady you made I think one of us can tell you how to beef it up so you can use it. Half inch plate should be big enough for a steady as long as the base is thicker.

I have made two steady rests, one for a 24" Nebel lathe for large diameter workpieces, I had it machine burnt from heavy steel plate, milled slots in it for the jaws, which had rollers, I made it hinged just like the factory made ones; the base was welded on to make it a longer fir on the bed. The other one was for a 10" Monarch lathe, made it just like the original, made a wood pattern, had it cast in iron and machined it; the jaws were made of cast iron, which was the practice with most lathes back in the day. This one was not hinged. but is "C" shaped with the front open for removal of the work.

Can you make a suppressor with a 1 3/8” OD? Fit it thru the headstock?

You might take a look at this video and see if it provides any inspiration.

I'm wondering.....rather than ebay, I found that grizzly sells the entire steady rest assembly for their 8, 9, 10 and 11 inch lathes for around 100 bucks. Just wondering if buying one and using an adapter plate on bottom would be a lower cost, but workable option.

Yes it would be a great option. My steady already had a riser sitting under it when I bought my lathe and it has never taken anything away from the machine, or its abilities in use. Go on do it, once done it will be no big deal as you reflect on the issue.

I realize this is an old thread at this point, but I think it's still interesting and I'd like to hear the update! One thing I've found and rather enjoy about the machine shop is the satisfaction of learning how to work within the constraints of the machine. One thing I can related to in regards to the Logan lathe is that the parts availability is not as great! If you think there is a tax on 12" lathe parts, try 14"!

My thoughts on the steady is that adapting an existing steady will be a lot easier than building from scratch. I almost took this on for the tailstock as well, buying a SB 14.5 tailstock with the intention of adapting. As luck would have it, a Logan 14" tailstock popped up before that project came to fruition!

In regards to the specific project you are undertaking, I would second Jimsehr and say you should attempt to make the baffles out of shorter lengths of stock. That's the simple fix. It wasn't clear on whether you were trying to build a one-piece baffle Yes, material cost will be slightly higher, but there is another reason - I'd be concerned about getting a concentric deep bore down the center of a one-piece baffle. The last thing you want is baffle strikes!

I realize this is an old thread at this point, but I think it's still interesting and I'd like to hear the update! One thing I've found and rather enjoy about the machine shop is the satisfaction of learning how to work within the constraints of the machine. One thing I can related to in regards to the Logan lathe is that the parts availability is not as great! If you think there is a tax on 12" lathe parts, try 14"!

My thoughts on the steady is that adapting an existing steady will be a lot easier than building from scratch. I almost took this on for the tailstock as well, buying a SB 14.5 tailstock with the intention of adapting. As luck would have it, a Logan 14" tailstock popped up before that project came to fruition!

In regards to the specific project you are undertaking, I would second Jimsehr and say you should attempt to make the baffles out of shorter lengths of stock. That's the simple fix. It wasn't clear on whether you were trying to build a one-piece baffle Yes, material cost will be slightly higher, but there is another reason - I'd be concerned about getting a concentric deep bore down the center of a one-piece baffle. The last thing you want is baffle strikes!

Actually, I made a steady rest. I need to do a build thread in case anyone else wants to do it.

Back