Dividing head

I have an import BS-0 and have used it as a rotary table on my mill. Cutting aluminum, but it was fine for what I did.

I've machined SS in both vert and horizontal positions with no movement. The diameter if the part I was cutting was 1" so not a lot of leverage/torque on the unit. Yours has 2 17mm(?) bolts holding the heads position?

Well... I think it may have been a success... maybe...

I machined a gear out of bronze... just experimenting to see how it would turn out before I risk ruining an expensive cutter making a steel gear. I figured if I made a mistake, the bronze might be a little more forgiving on the cutter than steel.

20200824_124352.jpg

It turned out pretty good...

20200824_132018.jpg

20200824_132027.jpg

In the last pic, you can see a light punch mark at about 4 o'clock... I marked the last cut because I wanted to see how well it was spaced out from the first cut after I cleaned the oil and chips off.

Maybe tomorrow I will go ahead and bore the center out and put it on the Hendey to see how well it meshes with the adjacent gears.

-Bear

That looks fantastic!

Looks perfect. What kind of mill are you using?

Very nice gear! Shucks, bronze may well be all you need for your Hendey. It's an excellent gear material.

Back