[4]

Winner DIY 5-C Collet CHuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
Phil, You might try making the 3 stand offs intregal with the back plate instead of the collet holder section.

Thanks for the vote.

Ron

Tony Wells

Platinum
Registered
Oh, I already had picked it......just haven't got the banner changed yet!

jgedde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Beautiful work Oz! Congrats on POTM! Collets are oh so nice!

John

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Congratulations, well deserved Ozzie.

"Billy G"

Rbeckett

Silver
Rest In Peace
Congrats on the project of the month!!!!! Great write up on the collet and great pics too. Thanks for sharing your work!!!
Bob

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
Thanks John, yes the collets should be big improvement instead of making a one off mandrell or something.

Thank too Bob, I really had no idea it would make POM.

Ron

Ken_Shea

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That is some fantastic work there Ozzie

Ken

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
nice job,the chuck came out very well with a nice finish.
what type of metal was it and what was your source and cost?
here local there is only one place for metal and its hot rolled. it does not machine well almost gummy. but when i check for metal online the prices are too high for me or i'm looking for the wrong thing. what should i be looking for that machines well at a fair price
steve

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
Thanks Steve. It's all scrap metal from our local scrapper. I have no idea what kind of steel it is. The nose piece was a roller of some kind I picked up years ago. I used a HSS cutting tool to mark it by hand to see if it would be machinable. The rest is just some rusty flat plate I found at the scrapper. The back plate is cast iron. I know the steel got hard when I welded it so it's not regular mild steel. I had previously built up some mild steel for a conneting rod on my loco by welding and it didn't get hard like this. It machined very well.
After I welded on the stand offs for the chuck it was hard machining even for my cheap carbide cutters, the HSS wouldn't touch it.

As far as cost I may have $30 to $40 in it and $10 of that is for various 1/4- 20 cap screws.

The finish was accomplished by filing and 150 and 250 grit emery cloth. The final finish using well used 250 cloth truning at 1200 rpm in the lathe.

Ron

7HC

Active User
Registered
Why can I not see the pics. I know without pics you have nothing, help me out.
Nelson Collar
May the Lord Direct Your Steps
"When injustice becomes law - resistance becomes duty."
Go to the second page of this thread, then scroll to the bottom of the page, which is where the pics reside.

M

Armor

Active User
Registered
A little late but dang fine job wish I do thinks like that.

Jeff

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
Thanks for looking in Jeff.

Just jump in and give it a try. I only started about 3 years ago.

Ron

7HC

Active User
Registered
You've inspired me to start on an ER32 collet chuck.
Less complex than the 5c, but it'll be the first time I've tried to bore an internal taper, (I'll probably be asking questions about doing that soon ;) ).

M

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
I don't have any of the blue stuff to check fits so I used a Jumbo permanent Black Marker. Painted up the taper part of the collet and put it in, gave a little twist.

It showed contact from the front of the collet back about half way to the end of the taper. Adjusted compound took a light cut, put on more marker, and it showed contact full depth so called it good.

You'll do fine.

Ron

Wilde Racing

Registered
This thread made me join the forum, well it didn't "make me" more inspired me too. Nice work, I'm searching out metal for mine now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]