Do you clean before you create?

You certainly do have your shop full. Looks like you have it organized well. I have a 30x30 shop that I think is full. The problem right now is I have a 1969 Bronco project that is taking up a lot of room.

I don't have a mill or lathe yet, my plan is to build a 10x20 building for the machining equepment. I have been thinking it was going to be too small. After seeing your shop and reading about guys working out of spare bedrooms I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for the photos! Gives me inspiration!

Tim

I struggle against entropy, normally. Before each new project, I cut off a length of rosin paper and lay it out on the workbench. It seems to put me in the right frame of mind to plunge in, and I can work on the paper, make notes, sketches and keep track of dimensions. Then, if it's possible I might ever do this again. I take a photo of the paper. Sometimes I can figure out what I did.

I struggle with organization and direction.
I have so many irons in the fire, I don't know weather to cutoff fish or machine bait.
Since I have so may things I want to accomplish, I tend to pressure myself to get things done.
I then have to stop and remember, this is my hobby to enjoy. There is no time frame other than my own anal clock.
Besides, my wife needs some of my precious time as well.
Won't be long now..........RETIREMENT :)

I clean at the end of every day. All tools back where they belong, floor swept. Nothing I hate worse than looking for a tool or dropping a screw on a messy floor. I suspect it takes less time to keep it clean than it does to search.

Sounds good Jeff, Retirement is close for me as well, actually 169 days away. I made a deal with my wife that I get Bronco moving under its own power before I buy any machining equepment. She says my reputation precedes me and I would put the Bronco off another year if I was to get machining equipment now. :eek 3:

It would be nice to have space when I buy a new tool. My problem is the reverse, I buy a tool, then need to move things around to make space. My new tools end up sitting under a tarp, on the trailer for weeks or more, while I figure out space. The last on the 16" South bend, I cheated and bought a big tent. When I finish rebuilding it, I will squeeze it into the shop. Although I have been considering the idea of a shipping container for the lessor used tools.

I clean at the end of every day. All tools back where they belong, floor swept. Nothing I hate worse than looking for a tool or dropping a screw on a messy floor. I suspect it takes less time to keep it clean than it does to search.

I typically do it the other way and can definitely confirm your suspicion!
-brino

Back