Does Anybody Make a Grease Gun That Doesn't Leak?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Every time I pull out my Grease Gun to lube equipment, the oil has separated from the carrier and the outside of the gun is covered. It also drips from the reservoir. It should not be such a damn mess. I have not yet found a grease that does not separate to some extent and all grease guns seem to leak! My gun is a pretty good quality OTC. Have you found the solution?
Robert

I always release the pressure by locking the rod in the slot and hang dirty end down over a paper towel. Works for me.
Aaron

Every grease gun I ever had leaked to some degree. Most leakage occurred in the summer months when the ambient air temp was high and allowed the grease to liquify to some degree. High temp grease is less likely to separate. We used this at work for high and low temp applications. Never had any separation. I use this at home for everything .Tom-Pac Inc. | Sealing Compounds and Specialty Lubricants (tom-pac.com)

There is a lot of discussion on the 'net about this. Apparently the answer is NO.
This would be a good project to try.
Robert

I guess I am keeping my old gun, It is leak free to the point I have to oil the exterior to prevent rust most of the original paint is worn off of it over the years. It has no markings at all to indicate brand, I have no clue where I may have bought it 50 years ago. I have been using it for the last 50 years. I bought it when I was still peddling a bicycle cus I was to young to drive. It is just now starting show a bit of seepage around the plunger, not yet what I would call a leak, just some wetness.

I use the grease up before it has time to separate, It is also stored in a cool basement.

My Dad had a great one, no idea the brand. Shiny silver, never leaked that I could see
Must have bought it in the 60s when everything was well made

I almost ordered a Lube Shuttle grease gun. It is from Europe. The grease cartridge screws in the head. It looks good but I don't use one enough to justify the price.
You can also buy empty tubes to fill with your own grease.

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210131-190312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210131-190312_Chrome.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 20
Back