Does Anybody Make a Grease Gun That Doesn't Leak?

Mine, if you pull back the handle, so the end contacts the plunger, you can turn it to engage the plunger, and then push the plunger into the grease. That way it does not need a strong spring.

My Dad had one with a big rubber washer in the front end. I do not recall it leaking like mine do, I just thought it was because I always buy cheap ones.
Ugh, mine does not do that either. To the trash it goes!

Durn, guys ... you all make grease guns sound like a baby - spoon fed at one end, and incredibly messy at the other :)
Anyway, reading the thread reassures me that my own grease gun experiences are (unfortunately) not unique.

All three of mine leak. And they are vintage models. Wrap them in plastic with a rag I guess.
I've got marine in one, moly in another, and red(?) in the third one, they all leak, the red one is the worse.
Occasionally I'll lay them out, spray 'em down with Gunk and rinse them off.

Priming the gun should be easy and a one time job. A grease gun is like a third arm to me. Probably have six of them all different flavors. Yeah they will leak if you leave the plunger charged. I go threw them to quickly for them to leak but the one at home does alittle.
New cartridge storage is the key to a good prime. They should be stored pull cap DOWN. I see people lay on the cap or on the side which will allow the grease to move in the tube. You want the grease at the metal pull cap side. Just recently used a rechargeable grease gun and I think I’m sold. Forearms burn pumping a tube on one machine. We have a air one on a can but they blow out seals to easily I do not like those.

Mine doesn't leak since I found a cap that fits snug over the end ;-)

I have never seen a leak free one, or a mess free one for that matter.

My guns are old & leak. To prime a new tube I just leave the thread just barely holding and release the plunger. Tap the gun and the air will escape around the threads. Tighten. Hang gun nozzle end down & wrap with a rag and plastic bag to keep clean. I tried releasing the pressure by pulling the plunger back but that seemed to introduce air. Some kinds of grease seem to separate much worse. I had been using DA brand. It is mainly sold for use on heavy equipment but it is not easy to come by in small quantities. There is a Mobile distributor near my shop and they can match most any specification. Last year I bought some lithium grease at the local farm store. It was terrible about separating.

Back