Does anyone use one of these

My experience with a chinese 5C chuck was exactly the opposite of Jim. Advertised TIR was .0004 and I measured .0006, which technically fails the spec, but for the price seemed totally reasonable to me.

I too made an adapter for a cordless drill to overcome the turn, turn, turn. Works fine: I still final tighten with the key wrench.

I prefer that style over the tube type( hand crank helps a lot), since attaching the tube type takes time. I bought toolmex (bison) for about $450 including a d1-4. Didn't want to take a chance on a Chinese unit .
The unit I have is quick, stays accurate(>.0005) re-registers accurately ,doesn't stick out very far, spins much less mass than 3 or 4 jaw chuck, doesn't mar the workpiece, is light when mounting, 5c collets are relativly inexpensive , can be used on other fixtures and hold well. Stock needs to be close in size to collet.

I just did another search on Ebay for a Bison chuck. $815.00 for a plain back, which includes your choice of adapter plate. Kind of hard for me to justify that much of an investment right now.

Here ya go.....Chinese chuck, great accuracy....watch how he was able to obtain it....if need be, watch a couple of times.

I had to make a number of parts that were the same.....really great for multi part runs. To speed up the turning of the chuck, I bought an electric 3/8” ratchet. I also use the ratchet for tightening/loosening the draw bar on my mill.

I have one and have used it for several years. Evidentially I was lucky, because mine works very well. The runout is very minimal, with virtually no adjustments. I have my spindle marked and always mount it in the same position. Twisting the chuck key can get a little old but as others have done, I made an adapter for my drill.

I purchased an ER 32 collet that screws onto my 1 1/2 X 8thd Atlas spindle. $125 as I remember. An 18pc set of fractional collets is $60.00, metrics the same price range. Lots cheaper that a $800 price range????

I have one of the chinese 5C chucks.... I haven't had any problems with it, and use it pretty often...

It is my go-to chuck for almost everything up to 3/4 inch diameter...

-Bear

Pushing the button on these!
Thanks to everyone for all the info and replies.

5C-COLLECT-CHUCK-PLAIN-BACK-MOUNTING-5-DIA-2F.jpgadapter.jpg

Back