Does anyone use one of these

I purchased an ER 32 collet that screws onto my 1 1/2 X 8thd Atlas spindle. $125 as I remember. An 18pc set of fractional collets is $60.00, metrics the same price range. Lots cheaper that a $800 price range????
I went back and looked up the collet prices. Seems that the tariffs have raised those $60's to $75.00 Still cheaper than $800's.

I made one for my big lathe about 5 years ago. I wouldn't be without it. Used it twice today.

I finally got around to checking out the 5c collect chuck I bought a few weeks ago. I decided to do a little bit of inspection before machining the backplate. I machined a 1.000" dia. "arbor" and mounted the chuck to it. To feel comfortable with my findings, I installed and checked, removed, verified arbor run out, installed and checked again, loosened and indexed and checked. All my findings were the same with in probably -.0005. This is what I found:
Register fit - TIR .0005+ ( seems OK)
Mounting face - TIR .0015 (not happy with this)
Chuck body - TIR anywhere from .0015 to .007 ( Not worried, I could machine if needed)
I feel I need to machine the face but wanted some opinions.

IMG_2841.JPG

One of the great things about a 5c collet is that using that collet you can move the part to a mill or drill press to do the next operation . Also you can use an ID collet to hold on inside of a bore to do next operation. I have 6 or more collet chucks that I can hold up to 1 3/8 dia stock thru my 11 inch Logan lathe. I can change from a chuck to a collet in just a few minutes.

I have a spindle-nose 5C chuck that I use a lot. I bought it because I could nor get the tool close to the work when using a conventional collet closer. The lathe I had then was a Clausing Metosa 13"

I am still thinking about a 5c collet chuck .

Just finished a stainless chess pc and wound up with my tail stock taper in my 3 jaw chuck holding a er32 collet chuck so I could work the short 1/2 finished queen chess pc.

Thinking the 5c would have helped here.

I was able to use a Hardinge 5c collet draw tube on my Grizzly G4003G. Had to use two thick washers sandwiching the thrust bearing to take up the little extra length of the tube. Perfect fit though. I was going to go collet chuck but using the draw tube and 5c spindle nose takes up very little room and close to no overhang.

I use one with the rubberized - hand tightened ring, an Atlas PB23. It works great and I use it quite a bit. One nice benefit is that there are not big chuck jaws spinning near your hand at 600 RPM or so. It sure feels safer to be around.

Back