Does It Exists, 3 Axis Display 4 Igaging Dro?

No just for scales. Cant see it being a lot more for the read out, thier kits seem to be very close in price to what just the scales add up to.

That is what I read over on the yahoo Shumatech group.

The scales turned up today, look good, came with mount bolts and some die cast alloy brackets, also a aluminium splash cover. From china
The msp430 was here days ago. From usa.
Ordered at the same time was some resistors and bits and pieces. Hasnt turned up yet, and some is on back order.... from my country only one state away. One day by overnight frieght. 2 weeks later. Unreal. And postage costs more? Anyway. Will hopefully get cracking on it as soon as it turns up.

I was looking at some of the links for Ditron and got a bit excited when I saw that they used a DB9 connector.
Then on one of the links they actually showed Output Signal Types and the pin-outs.
I was thinking that maybe I could use one of their scales in place of the busted up X-axis scale on my Mitutoyo.
I seem to recall that the Mitu uses TTL. So I tried comparing the the only diagram I have for the Mitu with the Ditron.
And then I got lost in the specs and don't understand the info.
Going to go try to find a Signal diagram for the Mitutoyo Scale.
If anyone can interpret this for me - I'd appreciate it.
Mitutoyo_&_Ditron_Schematics .jpg

As I understand it ttl and rs422 are the same. The rs422 just uses and additional signal to verify position. If I remember my research on these things they are cross compatible. If your dro can understand the rs422 then you have the advantage of using it. The -1vpp is for rotary encoders. Just cross reference the muto to the ditron. You may be able to get away with swapping some pins.

@middle.road Unfortunately the Ditron outputs don't look compatible with your DRO input. The Ditron have all quadrature outputs which are a series of pulses that the DRO box counts to figure position. Your Mitutoyo box appears to have Data and clock inputs rather than A and B inputs, which leads me to think it wants to see something like I2C serial data which is completely different than quadrature. Maybe you could look up your busted scale somewhere to see what it's output looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it ttl and rs422 are the same.
Very different. RS422 is a differential digital electrical signaling standard. TTL in this context refers to the voltage and current levels required to interface TTL integrated circuits to each other on a circuit board and really shouldn't be used for data transmission.

RS422: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-422

TTL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor–transistor_logic#Interfacing_considerations

While they can interoperate to a limited degree you lose all the advantages of RS422 and gain all the disadvantages of TTL.

You may be thinking of RS423. It will interoperate somewhat better with TTL being an unbalanced system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-423

Last edited:
I've used one side of RS422 outputs to drive TTL inputs with no problem, but RS422/TTL compatibility is not relevant to middle.road's DRO question. His DRO box appears to want some type of serial data interface (evidenced by DATA and CLOCK inputs rather than A,B) rather than quadrature (A,B) pulses. That seems like a show stopper before anything else.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I figured that there would be a show stopper somewhere in there.
I think what I really need to do is bite the bullet and go one of two ways:

- iGaging with a Arduino interface and a spare android tablet that I have sitting here. DavidH has decent prices on the scales.

- or go with an entire import DRO, and then maybe sell my Mitutoyo box and the Y-axis scale...

I really like the old school buttons on the 982-537...

I use quadrature scales like Ditron with the Android DRO and really like it. The thing that made me go that route rather than iGaging is that I didn't want to spend the time on the project (mounting scales is an all day job for me at least) and decide later I really wanted better scales.

Back