Does It Exists, 3 Axis Display 4 Igaging Dro?

Does anyone have a supplier of glass scales? I want to build one of these as they look good and will be a bit of education on micro controllers for me. But by the time i buy 2 scales i may as well buy a dro kit. In Australia if that helps.... or hinders.

Is there any advantage to the TI controller over the Arduino controller, other than the cost?

For glass scales I went with these.
http://m.alibaba.com/product/479254854/Optical-Ditron-linear-glass-scale-encoder.html
I had one little issue of the head not reading but I can't definitively say it was a defect or my own fault. Either way they are working now. And they were the most affordable glass scales. If you do the build with the ti there are more scale options, your can mix scales and there seems to be more flexibility with the board. Arduino has a ton of support and can be used to a bunch of different things but as for the current dro project it only functions with the basic igahimg scales setup. I have a grizzly g0704 and run glass scales. My long term goal is to bring the built in spindle dro integrate it to the touch dro w axis and also use the current spindle tach and integrate it with the touch dro tach feature. To my knowledge I could not do this with the arduino and the current programming available. The ti board has the programming available however.
For more info past what yuryi has done you can look at the beta board here
https://plus.google.com/communities/107302258278364916741
There are other people who have added programming to the different boards to increase functionality.

As for Craig, according to posts on the Google beta forum it looks like the setup for the absolute scales has not panned out yet. But there are a few people working on it. I wish my knowledge base was more electrical than mechanical because it seems like a project worth tackling but it is beyond my ability to help out.

......... I wish my knowledge base was more electrical than mechanical because it seems like a project worth tackling but it is beyond my ability to help out.
You and me both man, you and me both. . .

Ive got a quote back from one of the manufacturers "Ditron" on Aliexpress.
I can get a 1um 220mm travel slim profile scale and a 5um 750mm travel standard scale delivered for $210 usd. They have a good rep for scale quality from researching.
If there are any other Aussie blokes interested in a group buy let me know soon cause they will give a better rate.
Now to get my head around what controller dro to buy.

I would also look at the magnetic scales. From what I read these are near bullet proof but are more expensive.

I would also look at the magnetic scales. From what I read these are near bullet proof but are more expensive.
They do look the goods but for the extra price for my lathe its not worth it, spent to much already.

Going to bite the bullet on the glass ones I think. I have a cnc plasma cutter daydream that the magnetic ones may be good for.

Does ti sell a bluetooth module that suits this save buying from multiple sources. Also what is a good enclosure for the set up?

I ended up buying the boards from 3 different places on ebay. Could not find one place that had all I wanted.

I got my job box at the local Radio Shack.

I was entertaining the idea of building a second unit and sources most of the parts from mouser.com which was the cheapest if you took into account the need to over buy on some supplies. I originally tried to do as you are and source everything from a single eBay seller or amazon with no luck. Ti will not have everything. Mouser has a huge selection of boxes. For my box I ended up just ordering a 2" x4" x12" piece of plastic and milled my own. Was a fun project.IMG_20150508_070546868.jpg

Ive got a quote back from one of the manufacturers "Ditron" on Aliexpress.
I can get a 1um 220mm travel slim profile scale and a 5um 750mm travel standard scale delivered for $210 usd. They have a good rep for scale quality from researching.
If there are any other Aussie blokes interested in a group buy let me know soon cause they will give a better rate.
Now to get my head around what controller dro to buy.

Did you get a quote from Ditron for a complete dro system?

Back