Doing Jobs for "Friends"

That subject was interesting reading during my lunch brake!
Ahhhh the 'friends' !
In another life, I used to be a pro musician. I composed and produced music for films, adverts etc..
Studio time in those days was so expensive that I ended up building my own...
Then came a lot of 'friends' and 'tradders'... " I need a demo of that tune can you help me record it, in exchange I'll play (name an instrument) on your next project."
How many times did I fell in this trap
If you think machining and tools is expensive, get into professional audio!!
Anyway, I guess you all get the idea, I ended closing my studio for business and kept it only for my own projects, where I hired and paid at union rate the musicians and at the end, I found that this was a less expensive and more efficient way to get things done.
The 'tradders' were always busy playing somewhere else, on tour or whatever reason they were never available when I needed them.

Luc

I'll do stuff for people I know for the opportunity to get some experience. I'll also charge them sometimes if it seems like a lot of work. It is probably way less than they would pay someone doing it to make a living, but I'll use the proceeds to buy new equipment, so I am happy. I just did some work for a colleague at work and in return he will be giving me a couple bottles of homemade hard cider (which is awesome and strong!)

Rick

Back