Doing Jobs for "Friends"

well just cuz someone asks me does not mean I have to say yes. I have no problem with friends asking for me to make something and sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say no. My answer is based on what I want, practice, experience, to help a friend, not too much on what they want. I am also not afraid to spell out a trade. For instance, I let a friend use my CNC mill to make a part he sells. He uses the shop for a few hours every month and in return he does a cleaning pass on the shop each time.

To the first post. My immediate neighbor pours and injects soft baits, he has piles of CNC milled aluminum molds, just interesting to hear someone that makes them here. I can’t tell you off the top of my head who makes them for him, but it’s done on a cnc mill. Small world, wouldn’t think there are a lot of people who make them.

A friend recently asked if I could repair the foot on the tongue jack of his boat trailer.
I said sure. He said how much. I said I like single malt scotch.
When he picked the jack up, he brought me a really nice bottle of single malt. Better than I buy for myself.
You can never have too many friends like that.

my people factor

people I Like - 3%
people I tolerate - 5%
people I’m ambivalent about - 2%
people I either care nothing for or people I hate - 90%

based on the above chart, I’m very rarely asked to do any machining, auto repair work or am barely acknowledged. It’s taken many years of hard work, to achieve, the level, I’m at now.

My theory is based on the quote from the Andrew Dice Cly movie, The Adventure of Ford Fairlane

“some people play hard to get, I play hard to want”
I am stealing this. Perfectly sums up my stance. Bravo.

A friend came over to chamber a 14 barrel for him, told him he had to stay the whole time since I am not FFL, just a hobbyist, and not even in business. We'll something got screwed up, somehow I managed to overshoot the headspace, since the OD had been contoured and threaded by barrel maker, there is no way to salvage the barrel for him (I did later on turned off one thread and chased the chamber, being 10 tpi, the whole thing end up 0.1 shorter. Gave it to another friend and it is shooting real well)

Doing this guy a favor cost me $400 replacement and my labor to chamber it. It was understood that I will chamber his original barrel for free. Son of a gun did not even buy me a burger.

There is some truth to that old saw "no good deed goes unpunished". I've none a lot of favors for people over the years, as it seems to be my nature, but I'm getting better at saying no. I rarely ask anyone to do anything for me, as I'm generally not comfortable doing so, and would rather gain the skill, and tools to do it myself, or just pay a fair price for a professionals time. Mike

Well Guys, Readiing your posts gives me some comfort in the fact that across the pond from me , you folks have the same selfish, greedy scumbags as we have as well! sorry if I sound a bit bitter, but over the past three years I have been taken as an absolute sucker, both my wife and I had been too busy being kind to see we were being used , I do now tend to feel totally saddened, and anyone else coming along to ask for our charitable giving will be treated with a greater degree of caution, Scripture teaches us "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Fine words, But wouldn't it be lovely if a lot of people returned in kind?
Many years back when I first purchased a much heavier lathe a guy who lived near me asked for a favour, Well I was young and gullible, turning out various components was fun, Over a couple of years I was wondering if I had a part time job? Anything in return, over the years, ? Zero, Zilch !, Things caused the alarm bell to ring in my one solitary brain cell one day, when he showed me a couple of components, Which I said I could make no problem, Our man says, "O no those components will have to be professionally manufactured" What, Well he had them professionally made, What a damned mess they were, I would not have put my name to such a job, To add insult to injury our man said to one of my relations , I am lucky to know your relation he does a great job , well the cash cow suddenly dried up.

The same rule frequently applies to the chareacter whose back is up against the wall, After you have pulled them out of the mire, it is amazing how quickly they forget the favour , Usually that scenario applies after one has frozen the rear end of ones self in a cold workshop till after two o clock in the morning, I have saddly had that experience a couple of times Even with an employer I had , where i took a component home to complete , as their rubbish machines would not be up to the job, half an hour late in the morning and all hell broke loose, no gratitude shown , Well after that all co-operation ceased, even at work, It was amazing how the rest of the team did not manage to do any of my fine work .

However, all is not gloom and doom, I am lucky to have a group of like minded guys around me , where it is a case of mutual self help, and a couple of other guys who at least give one a bottle of "Stomach Lubrication Oil" It is nice to be nice.

Back