Drawing Software

I used Velum and drafting square in college, passed the course, never got proficient with ink. 4 and 6H though.

Tried FreeCAD today can't make head nor tail of it. too used to AutoCAD types.

Having learned Autocad using the command line interface, I had a difficult time using the later icon interface (which icon means "line" - what does that icon do?). I still keep a command line on my Autocad window, but I am getting more comfortable with the newfangled icon thingies.

While I don't have my drafting board anymore, I do still have tub with a lot of my manual drawing tools and a shelf with dozens of drawings on vellum. I love using ACAD but in a strange way, I also miss manual drafting.

When I started it was PEN & INK ON LINEN

Yeah, me too, but I never did "linen". What I like most of all about the CAD packages is the ability to draw construction lines (even before ACAD had theirs) and the ERASE them with no trace left on the "paper". I also like the consistent line widths and not having to worry any more about the infamous "pencil twist".

I still sketch drawings manually, but before they go to the shop, I usually spend some time on Autocad to verify dimensions and to "nicify" the drawing.

Yup.
I learned from my dad. Still have most of his gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my dad's drafting board, I can remember a few projects I had in my head that he made me draw out before I started. I still work from my head sometimes but I doubt that will work with the CNC....

1ohn

I like SolidWorks. I taught myself using books and tutorials in 2003-2004. Versions I've used are 03, 04, 07, and 2013. I stopped upgrading at 2013, realizing the software had all I need back in 2004. I've also used Inventor and AC, but never liked them much. The productivity of SW for 3D modeling is superior and intuitive to the design workflow. Since there are ways to acquire affordable licenses, there's no reason not to.

That said, I started out in the '80s with T-sqare and angles. We were still using them when I took engineering drafting in 2006. I still sketch ideas that way, but quickly move into SolidWorks once I have an idea worked out.

You folks may see it differently, but for me, learning Solidworks was hard and frustrating, just as it was for Autocad and Alibre. Yep, tried them. I did not see much transferable learning among them. Sort of like say, guitar to violin...they’re just strings, right? But I stuck with Solidworks, having seen what happens when you choose the wrong platform, like Pro-E. And now, it would be unthinkable to relearn a new package, if it were just money in the way. Eventually I might work up to some finite element analysis that might help my design process, and be kinda fun.

Side note for old timers...long ago I used to drool over drafting machines...could not afford one. Now that they show up at garage sales for $5 I don’t want one. Sad, no? :)

When the company I worked for started to upgrade the drafting furniture I got my drawing desk & chair. I still have it with the parallel attached to strings. It's a nice work table for hobby projects, 3 X 3 wood legs, 36 X 60 solid wood drawing surface. I started in the drafting room in 1961. We actually had to show the grain in the woodblocks & threads on the bolts.

I did not see much transferable learning among them.

Check this video our for doing a same thing on both FreeCAD and Solidworks. Knowing the similarities and differences can help the transition.

Here's how you can see your how familiarity of Solidworks can be transformed into AutoCAD's workflow:

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back