Drill Bit Sharpeners?

Watched this and thought, why couldn't someone make a nice accurate guide out of aluminum and sharpen their bits like this guy? He says angle it at 118 degrees, but corrects himself in another video to 59 degrees, which is correct,

The man in red was good to me this year and left a DD750X under the tree. I'm excited to see how it works.

Bray ,read the instructions then just take your time till you get the hang of it . I love mine it does a great job, and now I've got the left hand bit attachment on the way. Got lucky on eBay under $11 new delivered . Remember just get to know your machine ,make friends with it and it will sharpen your drills for many years. Wish my family were intuned enough to get me items like that.

I've got an old dd 350 I was given many many years ago.

Works acceptably for my purposes.

Doesn't do split point though. I would like to make my own HSS split points...

Tried out my drill doctor today. Worked like champ on the first try. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

It's funny. The DD on most hobbiest forums is treated very similar to the lee pro 1000 reloading press on most gun sites. The people who take the time to understand the machine and work it out really rave about it and bang for the buck, then there are the guys who don't want to exert that effort regard it as a POS and say to rather bit the darex/dyllon

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I suppose some photos would be good. This bit had a substantial chip out of it on the outer tip of the cutting edge. I set up the DD to the recommended factory settings and gave it a go.

I didn't try to split it yet, but traditional chisel point performance is pretty good. I drilled a pilot then made a cut with the newly sharpened bit. Chips were twisting off of both cutting edges and the cut was clean and smooth.

I'm sure I'll refine my sharpening abilities over time, but I'm happy that it works well right out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe that's what's wrong with my old DD 750SP. Worked very good for many years (on all bits except small ones). It now leaves an on-sharpened point in the center.

Back