Drill Bit Sharpeners?

Cool, let us know how it works.

I just read the manual of the Darex V390:
http://www.darex.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/p/p/pp11852kf_rev_3_v-390_operating_instructions.pdf
It is essentially the same machine as my Drill Doctor 750X, designed and built by the same company. It sharpens the same range of sizes of drills in the same way. The manuals and operating instructions are almost identical. It might be heavier duty than the DD, and looks like it uses metal in some places the DD uses plastic, but at $1400 compared to the $120 delivered I gave for my DD, I am underwhelmed by what I am seeing. I suppose I might change my mind if I actually used one, but I am happy with my DD and it does what I ask of it for a LOT less money. The V390 manual says: "Recommended use: The V390 is a light duty sharpener, recommended use is 30 - 50 drills per week." Well, I certainly do not ordinarily do 30-50 drills a week with my DD, but I have done that many and more without any problems. I have ground over 500 HSS and carbide drills using the provided wheel and maybe 50-75 larger drills with the coarser 100 grit wheel that I bought separately for cheap. Both wheels are still going strong, and they are diamond. The V390 wheels are CBN, fine for hard steel, but will not do carbide. My DD 750X shows no signs of wear or failure, still works the same as when I bought it. Other DD models may not do as well...
I would keep looking, Coolidge...

That V390 is exactly like the drill doctor, never seen one. I also have the DD750X and using it for several years now. Worth the money and does a good job would recommend the tool.

Two things to look out for when first using one. Pay attention to the detail as to how the bit is set in the holder. And make sure to check the adjustment for the bit stop. The OP can see what this means at the DD website there is a video of the set up for a DD750, it will make better sense.

price check included .. LOL
http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-DD750X-Bit-Sharpener/dp/B000BKTA00

Well there's a shiny new DD750x sitting on my kitchen island. I made the 24 mile trek in Friday evening traffic to go buy it, no damage to my truck from the hoards of drivers ed drop outs. Where's Jim I need someone to blame for making me go buy this.
Good deal. Enjoy. Let us know how it works for you.

The first day I got the x750 I did every bit I owned....about 600

Thanks guys this is great news, I just can't justify $1,500 for a drill bit grinder. I had connected the dots between the DD and Darex early on, and yes the V390 looks to be a metal version of the DD750. There are a great many negative reports about the DD750 but if you guys are getting good quality grinds with it I may give it a try. If it grinds bits half assed well it will get drop kicked out of the shop into the yard. I really don't have much patience for tools that fail.
You have to watch out for reviews, both positive and negative. Some people will give 5 stars to something where they have never opened the box. Others have no idea how to use it, did not read the instructions, are using it completely wrong, have bought it for jobs it is not designed or recommended for, and can't spell the name of what they bought or anything else. To some, everything is a POS. You absolutely must read completely all the reviews for something to see what is really going on with the tool and the reviewers. Do not just count the stars. With HF it seems even more necessary. Reviews can be very useful and powerful if you read them and get a feel for the reviewers and their expectations as well as the ratings they gave to the tool and why. I have not bought a tool I was unhappy with at HF since I started carefully reading all the reviews before going to the store to buy it.

That V390 is exactly like the drill doctor, never seen one. I also have the DD750X and using it for several years now. Worth the money and does a good job would recommend the tool.

Two things to look out for when first using one. Pay attention to the detail as to how the bit is set in the holder. And make sure to check the adjustment for the bit stop. The OP can see what this means at the DD website there is a video of the set up for a DD750, it will make better sense.

price check included .. LOL
http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-DD750X-Bit-Sharpener/dp/B000BKTA00

Meh I would have paid $160 to drive across town and buy it vs waiting for an Amazon shipment this time of year. All three of my shipments last week were delayed. One supposedly sat on a truck 12 miles from me for 3 days. (face palm)

Meh I would have paid $160 to drive across town and buy it vs waiting for an Amazon shipment this time of year. All three of my shipments last week were delayed. One supposedly sat on a truck 12 miles from me for 3 days. (face palm)

That was as I said price check, reference only. I have owned the tool for 10 years, purchased 1 sharpening wheel, did however buy the 100 grit. You have a nice tool it will serve you well.

I just watched a really good video called drill doctor v.s. craftsman drill sharpener by Halligan. It was a little long, and it seemed negative. In my shop class, the test for the drill sharpening section was to drill an aluminum plate with equal flutes. One as unbalanced as the one in the video would have earned a "fail". The instructor was pretty tough.

I received a X750 for Christmas several years ago. Went crazy sharping all the dull bits I had. Years later, pulled out the DD and tried to sharpen some bits. Could not get one right without grinding down half the drill bit. Said the heck with this, started looking for a Darex M1 or M3. like dad had in the shop. Finally found one, paid $$$ for it. Takes a little time to get set up on my T & C grinder, but makes a perfect sharpen bit every time!

The early Drill Doctors had a problem with the plastic housing warping. They would work great at first but the performance would deteriorate as they aged. That problem was supposedly solved though.

Back