Drive belt woes

When I bought my 9A, I disassembled it to clean and fix any issues. The leather belt was extremely worn and loose, and I intended to replace it with a serpentine, but I was very disappointed to find a previous owner welded/brazed the spindle to the gear.
NO WORDS.:bang head:

That is a pretty large drill bit. I would be careful of putting too much stress on the lathe. You could try working up to that diameter by drilling with smaller bits first. The same thing holds for parting. If something is a little loose and the blade catches, it may be better to slip than crash. That said, I was able to get better results by making sure my belt was slack using the detensioning lever before leaving it for long periods of time. Also the tension turnbuckle can be tightened. Before doing this, I put a torque wrench on the chuck and tightened until there was slippage. I don't remember the torque setting, but it can be found with a web search.
I have drilled 3/4 with my SB9, you just need a pilot hole for the tip. And I believe I worked up from 1/4, to 1/2 to 3/4. You can't do 3/4 in the first cut. My machine didn't have a problem, I was in back gears for the 3/4 but the second cone I believe. As I recently did a 3/4.

Metal lacing or glued. Any thoughts
I think you're fine either way. When I researched it several years ago, both methods were had positive reports. I have used a glued belt and it has held perfectly - 2+ years.

Serpentine belt, definitely! Don't bother to remove the spindle. Cut the belt to necessary length +2 in., grind 2 in. lap on both ends, taking care to avoid damaging the reinforcing fibers. Install it on the lathe and glue with Goop (any flavor) or Shoe Goo. Clamp the splice and allow to set overnight. Won't stretch, MUCH more resistant to slip and will last the rest of your life (well mine, anyway). I can stall the motor on my SB Heavy 10, the belt won't slip.

With a serpentine belt do you run the flat or vee-groove side against the pulley?

Metal lacing or glued. Any thoughts
I have terrible luck with adhesives. I may lust be cursed, but cleaning with alcohol, acetone, MEK, Clean-Streak, doesn't matter. No hold. YMMV.
Not wanting to pull the spindle, I purchased a cut to length synthetic flat belt off eBay, has worked fine. I figure if It started to slip, I'm pushing something too hard and need to figure out what.

Ron

No. I can take a picture of it tonight. I've had it closer to 3 years and don't pay much attention to it. I noticed McMaster-Carr sells belts too.

If I had it to do again, I'd do what MrWhoopee suggested. Also, here's one of several videos on the process.

In addition to the stated problems, I found I can hold the big pulley by the motor, grab the chuck and make the belt slip pretty easily.

Back