Drive belt woes

Not sure why my post didn't take...anyway I had put a glued serpentine belt on my 816 and it was good, and would not slip. But it squealed terribly when the lathe started up, sounded like when your fanbelt is slipping and needs replaced. Belt dressing would help for a bit, but not much. The glue (some two-part super glue) finally failed and I went with an Al Bino belt. It will only slip if I do something dumb, like start it when the back gear lever is pulled out to lock the spindle for die threading or similar, so maybe that's good - keeps things from breaking.
sounds like it wasn't tight enough, you have a tight spindle, you have so much HP or RPM that your spindle can't keep up on startup, or you have a very small cone pulley and it is just getting loose on startup, OR all /any of the above.

Anyway, you resolved it.

I had the same problem when I first tried it. Everybody recommended this super glue or that one. I tried 2 or 3, none would even set up. I had been using Shoe Goo to repair some sandals and decided to test it on a piece of serpentine belt. That stuff is really tenacious, I still haven't been able to tear that splice apart. I've since bought some Goop, which is the same thing only a little thinner.
Thanks! I honestly feel a little less stupid now.

Ron

Gaffer,

This probably belongs in its own thread but that would be quite a bit of work. You can probably salvage the spindle shown in Post #8 and all of the components loaded on it except the welded/brazed/silver soldered spindle gear but it will take another lathe or at least another fully loaded spindle and a tool post grinder and probably several stones for the grinder in order to do it. The economics of it are not too favorable versus just scrapping the spindle shown and its components.

The new belt I bought on eBay arrived and I installed it. So far seems a vast improvement. For whatever reason the splicer isn't making the tick-tick sound I hear people complaining about.

Back