Drive belt woes

With a serpentine belt do you run the flat or vee-groove side against the pulley?
The grooved side against the pulley. The material on that side is much "gripier", almost like it has fine grit embedded in it. The flat side is quite slick, at least on the belts I've used.

I have terrible luck with adhesives. I may lust be cursed, but cleaning with alcohol, acetone, MEK, Clean-Streak, doesn't matter. No hold. YMMV.
I had the same problem when I first tried it. Everybody recommended this super glue or that one. I tried 2 or 3, none would even set up. I had been using Shoe Goo to repair some sandals and decided to test it on a piece of serpentine belt. That stuff is really tenacious, I still haven't been able to tear that splice apart. I've since bought some Goop, which is the same thing only a little thinner.

I thought the grooved side goes toward but I wanted to make sure.

Serpentine belt. works great. I had to flip mine recently as it was wandering back and forth after 7 years use.
Very happy with it. Not a big deal to pull the spindle on my SB9.. I think people are too afraid of pulling their spindles apart. But on an old style lathe like ours, it's not a big deal.
I bet it’s quiet too.

I previously posted about lubrication questions on my 11 inch Logan. Thanks for all the advice. (Think I got that covered) my problem now is my flat drive belt slipping. I have had an issue for quite some time with the lathe stalling due to the belt slipping. Especially during operations like boring with a large drill bit (3/4 ") and parting. I have tried tightening the belt, cleaning it and even flipping it over. I think it is time for a new belt. I have looked on eBay and have seen several options including a belt with a splicer made to order and another which seemed to be a kit where you glued the ends together. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Not sure why my post didn't take...anyway I had put a glued serpentine belt on my 816 and it was good, and would not slip. But it squealed terribly when the lathe started up, sounded like when your fanbelt is slipping and needs replaced. Belt dressing would help for a bit, but not much. The glue (some two-part super glue) finally failed and I went with an Al Bino belt. It will only slip if I do something dumb, like start it when the back gear lever is pulled out to lock the spindle for die threading or similar, so maybe that's good - keeps things from breaking.

Back