Dumb idea of the day

Oops, told you it'd been a long time since I'd had the class. I am wrong on the formula:

tau = (T x L) / (J x G) is not torsional stress, it's the angle of rotation.

The stress formula is:

tau (reference I found online uses theta for the angle, I was taught tau) = Tmax / J

The comparison I mentioned above is still correct; polar moment of inertia is still in the denominator. I guess my memory from a class in college 43 years ago is lacking!

Bruce

My machine is a 101.27440 Craftsman, also a 12 X 36. I had considered the same idea of increasing the size of the spindle, but decided against it. My concept was to acquire a replacement spindle and do the modifications on that. The idea was to keep the original spindle intact, a philosophy that has paid off several times over the years.

In the long run, the idea was dropped simply because it seemed like more work and $$$ than the end result would achieve. I only had one job that would have benefitted and it was rethought to bypass the need for the larger spindle. I do not do commercial work so putting something on hold for a rethink does not cause any disruption.

Sure, it would be nice to chuck up a piece of 3/4 pipe, pipe plays a large part in my contraptioneering. But the weight of a larger machine would not be to my advantage, I just have to rethink my projects to do a "work around" for larger size work.

Back