Electrical Guru’s Here here!

Suggest one more quick measure of the transformer AC voltage across 30-31. Keep an eye that the meter is on the "AC" range and an eye for V vs. mV on the readout as suggested above. I've more than once tried to measure AC while on the DC range by accident and it reads about 0V. For your question above, measuring the voltage in various ways will in no way harm the transformer.

The low input voltage of about 210 VAC instead of 230 VAC would lead to about 22-23 VAC on the output of the transformer like you reported prior when you were measuring from ground. If the transformer is NOT grounded that can just be a ghost reading. However, did you confirm if the transformer is tied to ground? To do that, unplug the mill from the wall and measure for continuity between 30 and ground and 31 and ground. Do all of the green terminals you metered to also tie to ground?

It very well could be a bad transformer but worth a quick re-check I think.
Thanks for the very detailed response. I really appreciate it. Last night I took apart the transformer, trying to find the hair width copper strand which connected 20/21. It’s MIA and if it was there, I can’t find it anymore to resolder.

The gentleman I purchased the mill from actually works for the company where that transformer posted above is located. So he is getting me his price and should have it fairly soon.

I wasn’t able to test for ground as your described, I just looked for some sort of ground wire and assumed that was a no. I suppose a mute point now.

Great! You should be up and running in no time.

One of these should work too. Not sure about shipping to the great white north... This is from AutomationDirect.com.
There is also a 75VA choice for $62. Be sure to look at the dimensions to be sure you have the space for whatever transformer you choose as size can vary a little bit even with the same VA rating.

1641843298868.png

The output wire should be heavier gauge, as it needs to handle up to ~3A, most likely you are not seeing the wire as it may be connected behind the plastic screw terminals. Per what Reddinr mentioned, make sure the dimensions of the transformer fit into the current space available. I do find it very unusual for this type of transformer fail, it usually is fused for overload. It may also be that the higher voltage rating may be unloaded, loading a transformer can usually pull down the output voltage around 7-10% depending on the transformer.

The output wire should be heavier gauge, as it needs to handle up to ~3A, most likely you are not seeing the wire as it may be connected behind the plastic screw terminals. Per what Reddinr mentioned, make sure the dimensions of the transformer fit into the current space available. I do find it very unusual for this type of transformer fail, it usually is fused for overload. It may also be that the higher voltage rating may be unloaded, loading a transformer can usually pull down the output voltage around 7-10% depending on the transformer.
Those terminals can be removed. The connecting wire is in those sheathes. The terminal with the missing wire, it’s sheathe was actually a different darker colour, possibly burnt.

I’m hoping the transformer fits, it is slightly bigger, but should be close.

While waiting for this wiring issue to figure itself out, I spent the day cleaning up the machine. Both cosmetically and a thorough cleaning of the ways. Super happy with how X and Y move, but Z still seems super tough to go up. Not sure what is normal, but it is an Armstrong excercise. I feel much better about paying way too much for a broken machine now though. Lol

mince I get the wiring figured out, I’m going to do a single point oiling modification.

Attachments

• 92816669-FE73-45E8-9C70-6AA3A8C70408.jpeg
    92816669-FE73-45E8-9C70-6AA3A8C70408.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 96C307F4-C37D-445A-8EA8-8DD86BB79E7F.jpeg
    96C307F4-C37D-445A-8EA8-8DD86BB79E7F.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 80
Mark J. is right, the wire on the transformer output side would be fairly hefty like 18 gauge so it's probably hidden under plastic.
Also, you can always mount the transformer outside the box and run wires in if you have to, if you just can't stuff it in there
-Mark S.

This is when I got it…
Mark J. is right, the wire on the transformer output side would be fairly hefty like 18 gauge so it's probably hidden under plastic.
Also, you can always mount the transformer outside the box and run wires in if you have to, if you just can't stuff it in there
-Mark S.
image.jpg

This is with the terminals removed. They are connected by wire.

That's sure a mystery to me. I can't make hide nor hair out of it, but from where I'm sitting it's really hard to tell. The open could be on either side.
Most likely on the 220 volt side since the wire is so thin
The 220 volt side should certainly be thin wire like 34 gauge, but the 24 volt side should be considerably thicker like 18-20 ga

Last edited:
That's sure a mystery to me. I can't make hide nor hair out of it, but from where I'm sitting it's really hard to tell. The open could be on either side.
Most likely on the 220 volt side since the wire is so thin
The 220 volt side should certainly be thin wire like 34 gauge, but the 24 volt side should be considerably thicker like 18-20 ga
Yes it is on the high voltage side…..
So I’m not sure how I was getting 24v on the other side. We will soon see…

A couple of thoughts.

First, be sure the fuse to the transformer is sized close to the transformer rating. 50 VA would be about 1/4 Amp at 210V. So, no more than maybe 1/2 Amp at most. Do this especially on the first turn-on (Try starting with a 1/4 Amp slow blow) because maybe there is a short circuit that opened the primary coil vaporizing the wire you can't find. The fine wire can get weak due to vibration and can go pfffft before the fuse. Who knows at this point though.

Second, some people have put a cable-connected counter-weight on the Z axis to take some of the weight off.
Here's a fancy brake-rotor-based one that came up when I googled "z axis mill counter weight".

1641869065230.png

Back