Electrolysis Rust Removal Sb 10l Dual Tumbler Gear Box.

Joe0121

Active User
Registered
Can you Use this procedure on the Gear box will it harm the bronze bearings?

Can you Use this procedure on the Gear box will it harm the bronze bearings?
I think it would damage them. I've used heavy grease to protect bronze bearings while derusting with phosphoric acid.

I found it dose funny things to aluminum, not sure about bronze, I believe it is best used on rusted iron single parts, I wouldn't try it on assembles

I found it dose funny things to aluminum, not sure about bronze, I believe it is best used on rusted iron single parts, I wouldn't try it on assembles
It's all apart save for the bearings I just dont have another lathe to turn an arbor to press the bearings out.

Any copper based material will be eaten or severely pitted with the electrolysis method of cleaning.

Ok thanks Ill just have to use good old elbow grease.

Found this paragraph in some directions for electolytic rust removal.

Please note that electrolytic cleaning is not suitable for non-ferrous metals such as copper, bronze, brass, pewter, tin or aluminium. The corrosion products found on these metals are rarely formed by electrolytic action and therefore the process cannot be reversed electrolytically. In the case of copper and tin alloys the treatment would be harmless, although aluminium could be adversely affected by the alkaline solution and so should not be subjected to this treatment.

The corrosion products found on these metals are rarely formed by electrolytic action and therefore the process cannot be reversed electrolytically.
Electrolytic derusting does not reverse the process. It does remove the rust without removing any of the uncorroded metal.

I was just copying what was in the instruction sheet. Mainly to say that electrolysis should not harm bronze, copper or brass as it does nothing for these metals but will however harm aluminum.

I ran into the same problem and someone mentioned Molasses. Mixed with 10 parts water it works wonders. Not fast but easy, let the parts soak for a couple of weeks if you have the time and water will wash off the black layer the molasses converted the rust to.

Greg

Back